Planning question - KCMA

yycflyer

Planning question - KCMA

Post by yycflyer »

I'm planing to fly VFR into KCMA, class D, from the Fillmore VOR. On Skyvector I run right past a box that says CTC SOCAL APP WITHIN 20 NM. Does this mean I need to contact SOCAL APP first, before Camarillo tower? Thanks
Mike T
Home: CYYC
FSEconomy: MikeT
Just a simmer who enjoys aviation!
Scott Medeiros

Re: Planning question - KCMA

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Mike,
You'll recall from the CAT ratings that the requirement to enter Class D airspace is simply two-way radio communication with the controlling agency. In this case, that would be Camarillo Tower. If you needed radar services in that area, you could contact SOCAL APP on 120.4, but there is no need to contact anyone besides CMA tower if you're VFR without requesting flight following.

Scott
yycflyer

Post by yycflyer »

That clarifies it Scott, 5hank you. I had the Class D airspace in hand, it was the role of Socal and VFR that snow also clear. Cheers.
Mike T
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

yycflyer wrote:I'm planing to fly VFR into KCMA, class D, from the Fillmore VOR. On Skyvector I run right past a box that says CTC SOCAL APP WITHIN 20 NM. Does this mean I need to contact SOCAL APP first, before Camarillo tower? Thanks
That magenta box is the frequency you'll need to call to establishing two-way comms before entering the Burbank Class C airspace when approaching from that direction. You'll notice all Class Charlie airspace has boxes like that surrounding their airspace on sectional charts to inform VFR pilots of the appropriate frequencies to call within 20 miles out from various directions.
Scott Medeiros wrote:If you needed radar services in that area, you could contact SOCAL APP on 120.4, but there is no need to contact anyone besides CMA tower if you're VFR without requesting flight following.
If you want FF in that vicinity near Camarillo you'll want to use Point Magu Approach on 124.7
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
yycflyer

Post by yycflyer »

Hi Rod,
Thanks for that detail. I see the sectional much better now. I wasn't paying attention to the Class C as I wasn't entering it, but now I see the correlation.

Cheers.
Mike T
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

rtataryn wrote: If you want FF in that vicinity near Camarillo you'll want to use Point Magu Approach on 124.7
Yes, that is the correct freq., but if you only have a sectional and don't have the chart supplement or IFR plates nearby this box will give you a quick reference for someone to contact. The SOCAL controller on 120.4 controls a sector from west to northeast of VNY. Depending on where you are when you call SOCAL, you may or may not be in Point Magu's airspace.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

For sure Scott. And they'll always give you the correct controller's freq if you're not in their airspace.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Student123

Post by Student123 »

Hello,

Somewhat related question about Socal approach - this post shows socal freq as 120.4, foreflight/faa Vfr sectional shows 134.0, CAT scripts show 127.0

Why don't we use 134.0?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

134.0 is used a little closer to the BUR/LAX airspace. You certainly could use it, but if you’re in the vicinity of CMA, you’ll be in another controller’s airspace and likely switched to their freq.

I believe the CAT rating you’re referencing is that CAT7, SBD-EMT, transitioning the ONT Class C airspace. In that case, 127.0 is appropriate to call when NE of ONT.

I think there may be some confusion on who exactly is “SoCal Approach”. To clarify, “SOCAL approach/departure” is in reality SOCAL TRACON, a facility consisting of probably close to 30 different sectors, and frequencies. Their airspace covers all the way from BUR/VNY down the coast to the Mexico border, and east out to Palm Springs. It’s a massive chunk of some of the busiest and most complex airspace in the world. So while the charts may say “SOCAL APP” and they identify themselves as “SoCal Approach” its actually a team using multiple different frequencies to control smaller, more manageable size airspace sectors.

On PilotEdge you may hear the same voice controlling all of the SoCal sectors, but on the network it is treated the same as if all of those sectors are being controlled by different people.

Scott
Student123

Post by Student123 »

Thank you for the Tracon explanation. I appreciate your time to reply!