CSL Questions + SIAI-Marchetti SF-260

redge

CSL Questions + SIAI-Marchetti SF-260

Post by redge »

UPDATE: From post #4, this thread has evolved into a discussion about the possibility of including the SIAI-Marchetti SF260 (SimCoders/Javier Rollon) in the PilotEdge network.

My original questions, answered in posts 2-4:

Just a few questions so that I can justify to myself that I've installed 12.48GB of these CSL files.

What does the acronym CSL stand for?

Does it make it easier for other participants if I adopt/use the ICAO code* for one of the aeroplanes on the list instead of the one that I use, which has just been released and is understandably not on the list?

Am I going to see these randomly or only when someone (a) is using one or (b) is assigned one because, like me, their aeroplane isn't on the list?

Or have I just demonstrated that I completely misunderstand this?

Cheers

* PilotEdge seems to have assigned the correct ICAO code (F260) for my aeroplane; don't know if I can change it to something "incorrect". I suppose that I could just use a different plane.
Last edited by redge on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kevin_atc

Re: CSL Questions

Post by Kevin_atc »

Custom scenery library? No idea really...but that doesn’t matter.

CSLs are for your eyeballs only. It doesn’t affect anyone else whether you install them or not (however I would highly recommend installing them to get the best visual experience PE can offer). The multiplayer environment will load the CSLs to depict other airplanes. It will do its best to load something similar to what the other airplane is in the event that you don’t have a CSL for that specific airplane.

The newest version of the XPlane client auto-fills your aircraft’s ICAO code. There is no reason why you would want that to be incorrect so you can leave it as is.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
redge

Post by redge »

Hi Kevin,

I think that I may have been unclear in my question.

I use SimCoders's/Javier Rollon's virtual SIAI-Marchetti SF260D. This plane is recent and is understandably not modelled for PilotEdge. Does this mean that other participants will see a disconnect between what I say in a PilotEdge transmission and what they see on their computer screen as a representation of my virtual plane? I ask because there is a thread in this forum in which someone appears to complain about that. If the answer is "yes", is there a way to determine what plane PilotEdge uses for display in place of the SF260D? Of course, I could just use one of the planes that is modelled for PilotEdge. It's not like there's a shortage of options.

I find it helpful to know what acronyms stand for. Otherwise, they are gobbledygook. Your suggestion that CSL is an acronym for Custom Scenery Library appears to be correct.

Cheers
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

CSL stands for Custom/Common Shape Library (I don't recall which).

Since there isn't a specific model in the available CSLs which directly represents the F260 ICAO code, the system goes through the following process:
1) it looks through the related.txt file that is included with the plugin to see if the F260 is directly related (ie. functionally equivalent) to any other aircraft. If so, it tries to find models for one of those codes. Failing that...
2) it looks through the included 8643.txt file to find out if the F260 is a piston, turboprop, jet, and what wake turbulence category it's in, along with the number of engines. Based on this, it'll find the nearest match which we do have a visual model for.

It'll see that the F260 is a single engine light piston aircraft and choose something based on that.

You should feel free to remain connected with that correct ICAO code. That's always the most correct thing to do. At some point, I hope there will be a SF260. I happen to know Javier is supportive of his models being converted to the HD CSL format, so I suspect if we reach out to him, he'll be ok with it.
redge

Post by redge »

Keith Smith wrote:CSL stands for Custom/Common Shape Library (I don't recall which).

Since there isn't a specific model in the available CSLs which directly represents the F260 ICAO code, the system goes through the following process:
1) it looks through the related.txt file that is included with the plugin to see if the F260 is directly related (ie. functionally equivalent) to any other aircraft. If so, it tries to find models for one of those codes. Failing that...
2) it looks through the included 8643.txt file to find out if the F260 is a piston, turboprop, jet, and what wake turbulence category it's in, along with the number of engines. Based on this, it'll find the nearest match which we do have a visual model for.

It'll see that the F260 is a single engine light piston aircraft and choose something based on that.

You should feel free to remain connected with that correct ICAO code. That's always the most correct thing to do. At some point, I hope there will be a SF260. I happen to know Javier is supportive of his models being converted to the HD CSL format, so I suspect if we reach out to him, he'll be ok with it.
Thanks, very helpful. I get how this works now.

Apparently, Claudio Nicolotti/SimCoders chose this plane because Nicolotti has one. As you can see from the X-Plane SIAI-Marchetti SF260 sub-forum, and from the many videos that Javier Rollon has posted to YouTube, Rollon and Nicolotti are extremely active with on-going development of the SF260. They might well be receptive to PilotEdge inclusion.

I'll keep the 12.48GB of CSL files around for awhile :)
redge

Post by redge »

Hi Keith,

It looks like SimCoders has already created a CSL model, which can be downloaded for use with IVAO. See the right side of this SimCoders page on the plane: https://www.simcoders.com/reality-expan ... tti-sf260/
redge

Post by redge »

Hello again! SimCoders/Javier Rollon are actively working on making the SIAI-Marchetti SF260 available to networks like IVAO and VATSIM and, presumably, PilotEdge. Indeed, they have started an X-Plane forum thread, pinned, about exactly that. The thread currently runs two pages - SF260 CSL for use in networks: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... -networks/

Cheers