Changes to my 172. How did this happen.

MikeN87

Changes to my 172. How did this happen.

Post by MikeN87 »

I might be in the twilight zone here, I'm not sure, but let me explain what happened. I apologize if I'm posting a question here that I should be asking somewhere else, but here goes.

Ive been busy lately so not a lot of time to play around with the sim. Anyway I finally found some time, so I fired up the sim. Here's the crazy part. I found that my 172 has changed. Now, out of nowhere, it has electric trim on the yoke, and the auto pilot is different. So instead of logging on the Pilotedge and get some badly needed radio practice, I found myself trying to figure out how these changes happened and how to use the auto pilot in this plane. This is why I get so frustrated using sims. There is always some kind of glitch to deal with.

I kept wondering whether it was there all along, and I didn't notice it but I am absolutely positive the plane changed somehow. The trim is new, and the auto pilot now shows "Trim" in the window as its making trim adjustments. Never saw that before. Also, there used to be a master AP switch to turn it on and off and that's no longer there. Very weird and frustrating.

Has this ever happened to anyone. I feel like walking away from sims again.
Kevin_atc

Re: Changes to my 172. How did this happen.

Post by Kevin_atc »

Did you update to the new version of XPlane?
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

This is why I get so frustrated using sims. There is always some kind of glitch to deal with.
I know you've had a rough time, but as a counterpoint, I generally fire up my sim and go. It's been that way for YEARS, by and large, even through all of the upgrades of X-Plane.

You didn't mention which simulator program you use, and whether it was a stock airplane or an add-on to the sim. That info will help.

Did you update the version of the simulator at all?
thingsis

Post by thingsis »

The changes you are describing happened with the X-Plane 11.30 update to the default Cessna 172. They upgraded the autopilot to make it more realistic and reflect an S-Tec 55. Biggest change is that the disconnect button for the AP moved from the actual unit to the yoke. Also, you have the trim buttons on the yoke as well. This makes it more realistic, but you could also argue that it makes it more difficult for people who turn of the yoke to see the instruments. Anyway, if you want to know more I can really suggest the following article, which explains the new autopilot in detail:

https://www.x-plane.com/2018/10/autopil ... ane-11-30/

Be aware that this article doesn't reflect the most recent changes of moving the AP button and the electric trim to the yoke I think. But other than that you can really learn a lot about the AP from the included video. I really hope this helps.

Henrik
Current Rating: CAT-11 & I-11
Main Aircrafts: SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 & Cessna T210M & Cessna 310L
N679HB N191AB
X-Plane 11.4x
MikeN87

Post by MikeN87 »

Thanks Kevin, Keith, and thingsis,

You hit the nail right on the head, thingsis. Now the mystery is over, and I know I'm not in the twilight zone. Although, I don't think that change took place right after I updated. That's why it was such a mystery.

Anyway, Thx much!