How does LADYJ4 speed restriction work?

yajna

How does LADYJ4 speed restriction work?

Post by yajna »

Today I departed KLAX using the LADYJ4 departure with the COREZ transition: https://flightaware.com/resources/airpo ... (RNAV)/pdf

The graphic depiction shows altitude restrictions, but no speed restrictions. The text notes, however, say "Maintain at or below 250K unless otherwise directed by ATC".

My controller cleared me to FL210 (or something like that) after reaching LADYJ, but never told me I could speed up. FL210 is way higher than the SID's published top alt of 8000.

My question is, at what point in this SID am I allowed to speed up to a reasonable enroute speed? COREZ? By COREZ I was already long since at cruising altitude of FL360. Should I have called up and asked for a faster speed? Or, does passing 10000 implicitly allow > 250K?
Keith Smith

Re: How does LADYJ4 speed restriction work?

Post by Keith Smith »

yajna wrote:My question is, at what point in this SID am I allowed to speed up to a reasonable enroute speed? COREZ? By COREZ I was already long since at cruising altitude of FL360. Should I have called up and asked for a faster speed? Or, does passing 10000 implicitly allow > 250K?
There is a 250kt limit below 10K that applies everywhere....so if this restriction only applied below 10k it would be redundant. You cannot exceed 250 until advised by ATC. If you feel like they have forgotten the restriction, then ask them, "ok to exceed 250?"