Cat-10 LAX tower question

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
maxmoe

Cat-10 LAX tower question

Post by maxmoe »

I understand class b space cannot be entered until in this case LAX tower approves the clearance to enter.

What is the protocol if the tower is busy and you do not get clearance before reaching the boundary?

What direction do you turn to avoid to the class bravo?

Can you make a 360 while you wait clearance?
Ray Salmon

Re: Cat-10 LAX tower question

Post by Ray Salmon »

Yes, best practice is 360's outside of the Bravo until you can get a word in. Also, pull back on the throttle a little if you hear it's busy as you approach SMO/HHR.
Ray Salmon
Manager, Pilot Services
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The CAT-10 will be restructured as soon as practical to remove the miniroute. It is no longer flown real-world (not critical, but it's another nail in the coffin). That transition is worked by HHR tower, LAX Helicopters and SMO tower in the real world. We are trying to do it with one controller who is also working 40 other towered airports, and in many cases, all the tracons and centers. There is often a sub 10 second window to get freq changes issued, completed, and follow-up responses out to the pilot. It just doesn't scale well. Hence, we end up with a relatively high number of 360's unless the controller has the bandwidth to stare at the scope and issue virtually no other calls for the whole transition.
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

So out of pure curiosity because I've already done the CATs Does RW just utilize the Coastal Route in both directions? I would think it would be the easiest solution for both PE and RW.

Just my 2¢ in the gumball machine :)
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

RogerW wrote:So out of pure curiosity because I've already done the CATs Does RW just utilize the Coastal Route in both directions? I would think it would be the easiest solution for both PE and RW.

Just my 2¢ in the gumball machine :)
Well currently the miniroute is closed RW due to record low ATC staffing levels. However prior to that, the miniroute was very popular and used all the time. But SMO and HHR towers assist in keeping the flow of it going and LA’s local north/heli freq is able to be more attentive to the corridor than controllers on PE can due to the amount of airspace/airports PE controllers are working.

So now, the Coastal route and the SFRA are your only two options (RW) for getting through the bravo in that area for fixed wing.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
maxmoe

Post by maxmoe »

Thank you for all the replies. I flew the route the other day using offline ATC and noticed that with a fast plane the travel time is very short.