When to switch from Ground to Tower

Chuck Bevitt

When to switch from Ground to Tower

Post by Chuck Bevitt »

When departing, when should you switch from ground control to tower frequency? Should you wait for ground to tell you to switch or once you're holding short of the runway or should you go ahead and switch to Tower without instruction from ground? I am new to Pilot edge and on my first take off when I told ground control of that I was holding short, he gave me clearance to take off. I was expecting to have to get clearance from the tower.
zerofay32

Re: When to switch from Ground to Tower

Post by zerofay32 »

The controller probably didn't realize you where still on ground, that happens from time to time because the controllers are watching so much territory.

The only times you change frequencies on your own are switching to Tower from ground when you are holding short of the departure runway, and when you are departing a Class Delta airport and are not receiving Flight Following. When departing a Delta, as soon as you are clear of the lateral or vertical boundaries of the airspace, you are able to change frequencies at your discretion.

This should be covered in the CAT Ratings (specifically the CAT3 and CAT4) as well as the Video workshops. If your new to PE I would highly recommend checking out both.

CAT Ratings Page: https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/cat-ratings

Pilot Training Workshops: https://www.pilotedge.net/workshops
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
Marcus Becker

Re: When to switch from Ground to Tower

Post by Marcus Becker »

This is also covered in the AIM 4-3-14.
a. Pilots of departing aircraft should communicate with the control tower on the appropriate ground control/clearance delivery frequency prior to starting engines to receive engine start time, taxi and/or clearance information. Unless otherwise advised by the tower, remain on that frequency during taxiing and runup, then change to local control frequency when ready to request takeoff clearance.