Looking for Backcountry/STOL Fans

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
ryancanepa

Looking for Backcountry/STOL Fans

Post by ryancanepa »

Hi all!

I've spent a while following the flying cowboys, as well as a fellow named Trent Palmer who many of you may know of. I am looking for some people that fly on the network that would be interested in some good ol' STOL practice and or backcountry flying. This is not an event, but rather a way of getting people together to do some flying that is not typically seen on the network. The network provides a great way to simulate backcountry flying.

I have considered reaching out to the person who started a site called backcountryxplanepilot.com to see if he would be interested in joining up as well as expanding the project he has started. It would be very fun to create a small community of backcountry pilots that can occasionally meet up and fly, time permitting.

I have been coming up with endless ideas for ways to make backcountry flying more realistic, such as creating CSL's for all of the popular bush aircraft that are available, as well as establishing frequencies and mapping out the best spots within the coverage area, and beyond the area as well. If we can get enough people together we could even create a discord or site in which we can communicate.

If you are at all interested please do not hesitate, no experience required. PE is about learning. This may provide a way to get comfortable with the network in a more casual type of flying.

Cheers,

Ryan
Keith Smith

Re: Looking for Backcountry/STOL Fans

Post by Keith Smith »

Great idea...there's no need to 'establish frequencies', though. 122.90 is the multicom freq for airports that don't have an established unicom. For air to air comms, 122.75.

I'm a big Trent Palmer fan...back country group flights would be a great use of the network for sure.
ryancanepa

Post by ryancanepa »

Thanks for the input Keith! Glad you think it's a good idea.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

I’d definitely be interested. We’ve done a number of backcountry cub group flights on the network that have been organized by Valdudes and JonFly. They are an absolute blast and great way to connect with fellow PE simmers. We’ve done Idaho, Pacific Northwest, and Utah Canyon Country, etc. Great idea to get a formal group together with a designated Discord channel. I’m in!
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
jcallum

Post by jcallum »

I am interested but I am away from the sim for big chunks of the winter when I am in sunny Mexico. I could do something between now and Jan 3.
John.
John Callum - N142VG
i7 4790k, GTX 1070, X-Plane 11 Carenado B58 /w REP, Quest Kodiak, TBM 900, Bell 407, FF A320, FF B763, ASXP
JDawg07

Post by JDawg07 »

I'm a new PE pilot that's still training and looking for a fun laid back group to fly with. I keep up with TP and some of the other Flying Cowboys, love that backcountry flying.

FYI...Looks like the DRACO is coming to XP11!!
https://fselite.net/previews/torquesim- ... ket-draco/
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

hi. just a suggestion but you might get a better response on the discord channel.

https://discord.gg/ZW4DJMp
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
hoser70

Post by hoser70 »