Crazy weather? "Actual" vs. AWOS?

Turner

Crazy weather? "Actual" vs. AWOS?

Post by Turner »

Hi all,

Just flew into Big Bear City...

Skyvector showed scattered 900... AWOS was 200 OVC, 9 gusting to 15.

So, decided to see what would happen... didn't seem like 200 feet, maybe 600; however, I had to crab at 30-40 degrees just to keep my line, and on landing, basically did a nice long drift-skid until I was slow enough to turn off (which happened just as I slowed to the right speed, so, stylistically, pretty nice!)

Any idea what might be going on?
FDXDave

Re: Crazy weather? "Actual" vs. AWOS?

Post by FDXDave »

Do you use a weather injector like active sky or fsgrw?
Turner

Post by Turner »

FDXDave wrote:Do you use a weather injector like active sky or fsgrw?
Hi Dave - thanks for the note - just default weather. I use Active Sky for P3D and love it, but don't have/use it for XP yet. I think I will soon though.

I typically use either Skyvector or FlyQ (on my iPad) to grab real-world weather, and don't remember seeing it being entirely different even from the default XP weather before.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

That's why i got fsgrw. But either will do. XP for me at lease was always like an hour or more behind in weather conditions.
So if i flew on a sunny day it was not to much of a problem. But on a stormy day where winds altimeter and temperatures change rapidly then i would get frustrated. Xp real weather doesn't mean current. That's for sure.
Good luck.
Dave
Turner

Post by Turner »

I also just realized yesterday that SkyVector weather can lag pretty far behind.