XP11: Radios stop working when I connect to PilotEdge

Discussions surrounding the software that lets pilots connect to PilotEdge and the actual simulators
stoph311

XP11: Radios stop working when I connect to PilotEdge

Post by stoph311 »

Any ideas what may be causing this?

When I first load X-Plane and whenever I am not connected to PilotEdge, my radios seem to work fine - For example, I can easily tune in and listen to the ATIS. However when I connect, I almost immediately lose the ability to use my radios. It doesn't matter if I am using COMM 1, COMM 2, or what frequency. No ATIS, no chatter - nothing. Occassionally, if I am switching between the active freq and the standby freq, and one of them is ATIS, I will hear the first word or two of the ATIS, and then it will go silent again.
Nelajainen

Re: XP11: Radios stop working when I connect to PilotEdge

Post by Nelajainen »

If you hear just first word of transmition when switch active and then nothing, usually it means that you are far from transmitter or have some obstacles between you and transmitter. When you'll get closer to it, you'll hear it. As closer as better.
Looks like system needs one second to calculate distance between you and transmitter, thats why you can hear just the first word and then nothing if you are far away.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Depending on which model you are using eg a ga type you need to keep the RPM's up. Like 9000 rpm or so. Make sure your gens are on. I in xp settings choose to monitor battery and charge outputs.
Bassically if your not producing enough juice you will loose battery pwr which will result with loss of comms.
You can check the map. When you first load in you'll see the freq your on, then after a bit it will change to 999.9999 .
This happened to me a while ago. There are a few threads on the topic.
If it's not a battery or location issue nela explains then idk. I am assuming you are starting at a twr'ed airport...

Dave
stoph311

Post by stoph311 »

Nelajainen wrote:If you hear just first word of transmition when switch active and then nothing, usually it means that you are far from transmitter or have some obstacles between you and transmitter. When you'll get closer to it, you'll hear it. As closer as better.
Looks like system needs one second to calculate distance between you and transmitter, thats why you can hear just the first word and then nothing if you are far away.
I appreciate the reply, but in this case I was on the ground at KSNA trying to contact clearance and/or ATIS.
stoph311

Post by stoph311 »

FDXDave wrote:Depending on which model you are using eg a ga type you need to keep the RPM's up. Like 9000 rpm or so. Make sure your gens are on. I in xp settings choose to monitor battery and charge outputs.
Bassically if your not producing enough juice you will loose battery pwr which will result with loss of comms.
You can check the map. When you first load in you'll see the freq your on, then after a bit it will change to 999.9999 .
This happened to me a while ago. There are a few threads on the topic.
If it's not a battery or location issue nela explains then idk. I am assuming you are starting at a twr'ed airport...

Dave
Thanks for the reply. I tried this both in C172, and in the FlightFactor 757 v2 extended. In the case of the 757, I had GPU connected and the APU running.
stoph311

Post by stoph311 »

I would like to add to my initial post with more information:

1) Using X-Plane 11.32
2) This issue happens at any airport. I usually fly out of Class C or B airports during PE operating hours.
3) I have tested on ATIS, Ground, Tower, and Clearance.
4) I have tested this on a variety of aircraft with simple and complex radios. FlightFactor 757 v2 Extended and default C172.
5) I have assigned Push to Talk to a button on my Saitek X52 Pro joystick.
6) I am using a Logitech USB headset. Pictures of my audio settings are attached:

I am wondering if this is perhaps at all related to the recent release of PE ATIS. I read in the description of this new feature that it suppresses native X Plane ATIS. The odd thing that I am noticing on my SIM is that before I connect to PE, I receive native XP ATIS just fine. When I connect to PE and I am tuned into the ATIS, I often hear the first word or two of native XP ATIS, and then it is cut off and goes silent. For example, at KSNA, I would hear "John Way..........." before it would totally cut off.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

. Unplug your usb headphones 1st. Then disable all drivers. Try disabling all your audio drivers, to include that lg ultra wide driver but not your headphones. Looks like for playback you have two drivers active.
Now plug in your headphones again and make sure they are the only active driver.
I disable the windows realtec high def audio driver on my rig.
Then load up xp.
Dave
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

May be a long shot, but check that 'Communications' tab and make sure 'Do Nothing' is checked. If it is checked, uncheck it by selecting something else, and 'Apply' that other setting, then reselect 'Do Nothing' and 'Apply' that setting again. Then try the sim. I know it doesn't make sense but the RealTek drivers sometimes revert to the 'Reduce by 80%' on a restart or something and even though they show 'Do Nothing' the driver reduces the volume by 80% as though you were receiving a phone call.
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB