FSX Airport vs. What is really there

AviatorScott

FSX Airport vs. What is really there

Post by AviatorScott »

Ok, first -- Keith, I got X-plane, I'm playing with it but not on-line :)
So for now I'm using FSX. Tonight I load up for an IFR trip from KIFP (Bullhead City) to KVGT (North Las Vegas).
Get my clearance, get my taxi instructions, taxi to 16, ok. Look at top view, no taxiway from where I am to 16 w/o going way to the north, cross runway, back down otherside.
ATC calls me on this... up look at airport diagram, look at AOPA site, no taxiways or anything on west side.
Ideas on a fix in FSX? Just tell the control, I'm limited by my inability to fly X-plane in the system right now so bear with me while I hack around in FSX???

BTW, love the system, love the connection. Like feeling stressed taking a simulated IFR clearance and direction. You'd almost think I was in the air for real ;)

Scott
Scott Woodland, PE, M.ASCE
PPL - ASEL -- IFR
Jason Baxter

Re: FSX Airport vs. What is really there

Post by Jason Baxter »

FS9/X are frozen in time in about 2003, what happend today was you were on the abandoned side of the field that's now been reclaimed, not much you can do other than cross check actual publications with FS and note the difference, x-plane is easier we can respond to changes rather easily. Which a shame FS's design concept was to be a customizable platform. :roll:
realkewl

Post by realkewl »

Yeah, I'm thinking this is going to become an even bigger problem when more people join. I had the same thing happen to me, but it was not that far off, so no one noticed.

But, he's my dilemma. I'm using FSX and I like FSX. I bought and tried x-plane 9.x, but one I found the learning curve hugh. Second, at the time, it did not allow multiple monitors, and had only had 2D panels. However, the more issues I'm running into on pilotedge (so far just two) I keep hearing the advise to switch to x-plane. Which I'm not doing, I have way too much invested into FSX at the moment.

What I would like to see to resolve these two issues( this one (current airport diagrams) and free parking places): pilotedge could team up with an airport builder like aerosoft or a local one like borderline and have them build airports that pilotedge is managing, pilotedge could then suggest we buy those airports, if the layouts are far off.

Next, pilot edge could team up with aivlasoft and have pilot's use their software. This might work already I'll have to check. I use them as my simulator EFB. It gives me the airport diagram that FSX has installed. Shows me traffic on the ground and in the air. Also provides me the IPP. I installed this onto a second computer and communicate via TCP/IP works really nice.

Thanks,
Ray
AviatorScott

Post by AviatorScott »

Thanks for the replies.
Hadn't thought about just how "old" MS-FS is really.
Interesting thought about aivlasoft, I'll have to look at that, hadn't thought about a EFB for FS.

Scott
Scott Woodland, PE, M.ASCE
PPL - ASEL -- IFR
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Speaking of EFB's and such, I use a few different iPad/iPhone apps when flying in X-Plane, as well as the XHSI plugin. AirTrack is a wonderful tool for the iPad/iPhone. FSWidgets is a nice moving map that you can display on a separate monitor, main monitor or iPad/iPhone. FSKneeboard is a great resource, too. If you're a member of AOPA, the AOPA Airports app is quite handy. I have the EFIS app from Laminar, but I think AirTrack is much more stable. LiveATC is some great listening if you want to hear real world ATC communications. They also list airport diagrams and frequencies.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.