STAR Clearances

c09RKC

STAR Clearances

Post by c09RKC »

I'm a retired (2006) ARTCC ZME controller and I wonder if procedures have changed since then. I watched a flight from KLAX - KPHX yesterday. Approaching the KPHX area and decending through FL300 or so, the ENROUTE controller cleared the B738 to cross SCOLE @ FL 250 as shown on the plate. No problem so far. From there and the remainder of the flight, there was no re-clearance to fly the HYDRR1 STAR. Apparently that FL250 clearance was authorization to fly the remainder of HYDRR1. This through me for a loop. At and before 2006 and though the clearance by Delivery had included the HYDRR1, one pf the EROUTE controllers wouldve been required to restate the clearance to fly the STAR, as what the aircrast did. I wonder if this requirement is no more. From 2006 to now, there's no telling what the FAA's done (grin). TKX!
c09RKC

Re: STAR Clearances

Post by c09RKC »

answered on discord, tkx!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

For those who are looking for closure in this thread, it's likely the pilot filed the HYDRR1 arrival in the initial flight plan. The clearance on the ground was likely, "cleared to KPHX, [SID name] departure, [transition name] transition, then as filed..." The 'as filed' would include the STAR.

Therefore, "cross SCOLE at and maintain FL250" is just a vertical crossing instruction, and changes nothing regarding lateral guidance. Later, after the handoff to Albuquerque Center from ZLA, the ZAB controller would issue "descend via HYDRR1 arrival, landing [west or east]," at which point the pilot could descend as necessary to make the published crossing restrictions.
jx_

Post by jx_ »

Alot of enroute facilities still require the STAR to be restated at the arrival sector, however that requirement is by facility 7110 and not by FAAO 7110. I confirmed this in the 7110.65R (feb 2006). STAR clearances could be issued at anytime by any controller per the FAA.