Disconnected mid-flight

dhplane

Disconnected mid-flight

Post by dhplane »

Hi guys,

I connected to Pilotedge today after not flying on the network for a couple of months and decided to do a simple flight to get back into the flow of things - KSEZ to KSDL... both uncontrolled fields. I connected without any problems and was able to hear controllers/ATIS but got disconnected shortly after takeoff from Sedona. I started again and the same thing happened.

Since I had been offline for a while, I downloaded the new Pilotedge plugin and tried the flight again... this time it disconnected about 15 minutes into the flight.

I am running X-Plane 11.32 with the default King Air and default scenery. The only addon I have is Skymaxx Pro with RWC.

Any thoughts?

Thanks as always.

Joey
Kevin_atc

Re: Disconnected mid-flight

Post by Kevin_atc »

Is your internet connection hiccuping at all? Are you on WiFi or hard wire?
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

It is hardwired to the router and very stable.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The community isn't going to be able to help with this one. I'd suggest emailing support@pilotedge.net and including your callsign so we can review the server log to see if there was any relevant error message associated with the disconnection.
silberztein

Post by silberztein »

Hello,

I have been using Pilotedge with no problem for over a year now.

However, when I try to fly from 1L1 to 2O7 (towards the end of the alphabet challenge), around 30 minutes in the flight, when I reach the "Reveille South MOA", Pilotedge gets disconnected. If I click "Plugins > PilotEdge > Connect) and click the "Connect" button, it gets green for half a second and then goes back to grey.
This happened to me twice, at the same exact location...

It is not my Internet (I can still navigate with Skyvector on my PC or my iPad; I am currently typing while flying with no Internet problem).
I have no other software running in the background (and when I run Internet explorer to come to this forum, I still cannot connect to Pilotedge).

Any idea?
Thanks
Max
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Double check to see if AI is turned off. It's been rumored that 11.40 or .41 has been crashing on the network with AI aircraft on.
silberztein

Post by silberztein »

Thanks Marcus,

I double checked and AI is indeed turned off...

I am surprised that the disconnection occurs every time at the same location (Reveille South MOA between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City). Is it possible that I am too much north and I leave the ZLA coverage area (I have only the basic ZLA membership), which explains why Pilotedge would disconnect me?

The Pilotedge plugin seems to work: when I try to reconnect, the "Connect" button turns green (as if it was connecting), but after a second goes back to grey.

Another possibility would be that Pilotedge just disconnects after 20 minutes or so, independently from my location? This never occurred to me before, and most Alphabet Challenge trips take over 2 hours on my C172.

I contacted Support while still flying and trying to reconnect, but they have not answered while I was still flying.

I will hesitate before trying a third time this long flight, fearing that after 20 minutes, it will disconnect again...
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

The server will 100% disconnect you if you’re in a coverage area that you don’t subscribe to. I’d venture to say that’s what’s happening here. Figure out exactly where it’s disconnecting you and just look it up on skyvector.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
silberztein

Post by silberztein »

OK That makes sense, especially because the disconnection always occurred at the same location.

I got the two Tonopah airports KTNX and KTPH confused: indeed the ZLA coverage does not extend to KTPH.

Thanks for the explanation.

I will try again, this time fly direct 1L1 to 2O7 through several restricted areas (if I get the authorization)

Best
Max
kullery

Post by kullery »

Hi Max,

As soon as you enter the Reveile South MOA, you have departed the ZLA ARTCC and entered Salt Lake CIty.
Attachments
2020-01-27_15-15-57.jpg
2020-01-27_15-15-57.jpg (167.03 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5