Exercises in Airspace

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
dhplane

Exercises in Airspace

Post by dhplane »

Hi guys,

We all know that Pilotedge is the premier Internet resource for teaching proper ATC procedures and helping to lessen the “mic fright” so many of us deal with. But it is also an invaluable resource for teaching pilots of all levels the intricacies of modern airspace, which is no small task, especially in the complex and often confusing airspace of S. California.

To that end, you might consider establishing a new series of “challenges” where, ironically enough, the main objective is NOT to talk to ATC but rather to fly between non-towered airports along routes that go through, under, over and around B, C, and D airspaces SAFELY without having to talk to a controller... what I call “EXERCISES IN AIRSPACE”.

From a Pilotedge perspective this should not increase the controllers’ workload because the whole point of the exercise is to plan the flight by making sure no ATC controlled airspace is violated. But from a pilot standpoint, this would offer new options for exploring and enjoying the network, as well as stressing the importance of studying and analyzing airspace when planning a flight.

Possible routes might include...

... flights that transition KLAX through the SFRA corridor

... flights that transition the KSAN VFR corridor

... Flabob (KRIR) to Catalina

... Big Bear to Corona

... Cable (KCCB) to French Valley (F70)

... Compton to Santa Paula

... etc.

I know we can do these flights on our own any time, but putting some incentive on doing them might get people to focus on airspace skills that are harder than they look.

Just a thought...

Joey
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: Exercises in Airspace

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Here is a good challenge to get you started. Fly from KCPM-L70 without talking to anyone.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

Yikes!... that’s a good one... I’ll give it a try!
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Gee whiz... This is something we used to talk about during my streaming days quite frequently. You are absolutely correct in that it is a significant challenge and it is really fun too. Goldsy, I can swear that is the route I used to challenge my viewers with all the time. KCPM to L70 sans ATC and not busting airspace is not joke.
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

What a great idea. Excellent exercises. I'm not sure how the challenges could be "graded" as pass/fail though with no ATC communication and squawking 1200.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

Here’s a fun one... pretty straightforward, but needs to be flown precisely...

It’s a round trip from KOKB (Oceanside Muni) to 1CA6, a private strip under the KSAN Bravo.

Take off from KOKB, go down the coastline (careful to avoid the KCRQ Delta) and through the KSAN VFR corridor at 3,500’. (NOTE: you don’t need to talk to ATC, but there is a frequency for VFR traffic to exchange information - 126.05)

When you get to the bottom of the corridor, turn towards KSDM (Brown Field) and stay at 3,500 to clear the KSDM and KNRS airspaces. Once you pass KSDM, turn direct to 1CA6... that will keep you below the 4,800’ Bravo shelf.

The runway at 1CA6 is tricky and short (2,300’ and gravel) so make sure you take an airplane that can get in there. You will want to land on 15 and take off on 33 because of terrain.

The return trip will be in between the San Diego and Miramar Bravos... just fly the MZB 076 radial inbound at 4,500’. When you get about 3 miles from the MZB VOR turn to the northwest, and up the coast back to KOKB, again careful not to violate the KCRQ Delta. Use a right-hand pattern for 24 at KOKB.

It’s a pretty simple and fun trip to enjoy the views of downtown San Diego while flying around on your own... enjoy!
Romans5.8

Post by Romans5.8 »

rtataryn wrote:What a great idea. Excellent exercises. I'm not sure how the challenges could be "graded" as pass/fail though with no ATC communication and squawking 1200.
File a VFR flight plan; then it'll show up on PEAware.

Although the default PEAware map doesn't show airspaces and the like; you'd probably have a pretty good idea on whether or not they did it correctly.