Commercial Ops IFR rule question.

FDXDave

Commercial Ops IFR rule question.

Post by FDXDave »

Myself along with a few others were discussing VFR rules and discussed commercial operations while flying VFR. Is there a FAR Reference pertaining to when a commercial flight is required to file IFR?. I think someone quoted part 121 yesterday.
Obviously anything flying in Class A must file and fly IFR. So the main question is,.. if an airliner with pax were to fly in anything lower than A, would they be required to still fly ifr?. Obviously weather permitted. Same question for corporate pilots flying paid customers s in say a TBM. That too would be considered commercial i guess. A few of us were discussing this yesterday and are curious from a controller's training what is required. I know lots of variables. Just the basic concept. One of the RW Pilots who was part of this discussion said this
"Its absolutely possible to conduct a "commercial" flight, in VFR and a pilot without an instrument rating ... BUT, you would have to do so during the day, in VFR conditions, and stay within 25nm of your airport. Think skydiver operations .. those guys are doing a "commercial" flight in VFR".
So that to me was a very interesting concept. So are commercial type flights filling IFR due to company policy or due to some FAA Rule? What about the TBM Driver, "Stevo"... Obviously in some of his videos he is flying VFR, but would he be required to file and fly IFR if he has a single paying pax? Cause now, he would be flying commercial? Again, less than 18000 feet.
Thanks for any input you may have on this. Inquiring minds want to know lol.

Dave.
Les Parson

Re: Commercial Ops IFR rule question.

Post by Les Parson »

FDXDave wrote:Myself along with a few others were discussing VFR rules and discussed commercial operations while flying VFR. Is there a FAR Reference pertaining to when a commercial flight is required to file IFR?. I think someone quoted part 121 yesterday.
Obviously anything flying in Class A must file and fly IFR. So the main question is,.. if an airliner with pax were to fly in anything lower than A, would they be required to still fly ifr?. Obviously weather permitted. Same question for corporate pilots flying paid customers s in say a TBM. That too would be considered commercial i guess. A few of us were discussing this yesterday and are curious from a controller's training what is required. I know lots of variables. Just the basic concept. One of the RW Pilots who was part of this discussion said this
"Its absolutely possible to conduct a "commercial" flight, in VFR and a pilot without an instrument rating ... BUT, you would have to do so during the day, in VFR conditions, and stay within 25nm of your airport. Think skydiver operations .. those guys are doing a "commercial" flight in VFR".
So that to me was a very interesting concept. So are commercial type flights filling IFR due to company policy or due to some FAA Rule? What about the TBM Driver, "Stevo"... Obviously in some of his videos he is flying VFR, but would he be required to file and fly IFR if he has a single paying pax? Cause now, he would be flying commercial? Again, less than 18000 feet.
Thanks for any input you may have on this. Inquiring minds want to know lol.

Dave.
In a word, yes, due to FAA regulations. FAR Part 121 applies to scheduled U.S. Air Carrier Ops. Each airline has a Part 121 certificate that includes specific "Ops Specs" (Operations Specifications). Contained within, is a requirement to operate under IFR, regardless of weather and airspace. I worked for New York Air, Continental and United and it was, and I assume still is the same requirement. It may be different for certain Cargo and what FAA refers to as "Supplemental Ops". I hope this helps.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Yes. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
Dave
zerofay32

Post by zerofay32 »

The company I fly for is certainly a "commercial" operation, but we operate Part 91 and 90% of our flying is VFR.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

zerofay32 wrote:The company I fly for is certainly a "commercial" operation, but we operate Part 91 and 90% of our flying is VFR.
So really, it's more of a SOP thing. Thanks
Les Parson

Post by Les Parson »

It's important to understand the differences re FAR Parts: 91, 121, 135.