PSPP8A TEC route

dhplane

PSPP8A TEC route

Post by dhplane »

Hi guys,

I was looking at the TEC route for KPSP-KTOA (PSPP8A) and the routing after PDZ is the PDZ270/16 then DOWDD, which is less than half a mile short of the previous point... what is the proper way to fly that routing?.... thx as always... Joey
kullery

Re: PSPP8A TEC route

Post by kullery »

PDZ270/16 is essentially the same as DOWDD.

If I recall correctly, the TEC Route was defined prior to DOWDD being established so the waypoint was defined as PDZ270/16. When DOWDD was created it was added to the TEC rout but they neglected to remove PDZ270/16.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

Makes sense, but I just wanted to make sure to avoid making a mistake... I was especially confused because both MYFLIGHTROUTE and Foreflight still list it that way...

Thanks for the prompt response!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

it makes more sense when you realize that it's not half a mile short, but is exactly the same point :) Check the low enroute chart, the mileage indicator for DOWDD is 16.
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

You’re right, Keith, my confusion came from looking at ForeFlight and Skyvector, both of which depict the two points as slightly displaced from each other...
kullery

Post by kullery »

Ironically, that displacement is the result of “too much” accuracy.

The FAA’s description for DOWDD places it at: PDZ*C*270.00/15.61. So technically, there is a difference of .39 miles between DOWDD and PDZ270/16. The difference is relatively insignificant with an airway width of 8 miles.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

I just found the FAA database that lists all the fixes/waypoints... I learn something new every day here... thx again!