Practicing STARs?

jgoth

Practicing STARs?

Post by jgoth »

Since many of the routes within the core LA region are covered by TEC routes, how does one practice STARs? LAS is one possibility and of course it's in the I-5, but was wondering if there are other alternative (shorter) flights to practice that some could suggest? Also, how does one go about finding the appropriate STAR they would hypothetically fly (i.e. ASEL specific, not turboprop or jet), other than poking through them one by one on skyvector, airnav etc? Sorry if the questions seem too obvious to some. :-)
Kevin_atc

Re: Practicing STARs?

Post by Kevin_atc »

I assume you only have the ZLA package? Also, are you looking to fly small GA, or airliner type?
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
jgoth

Post by jgoth »

I'm looking to fly GA primarily. I'm in the early stages of working towards my instrument rating on either a Skyhawk or Warrior and would like to work on procedures that are relevant to my area (East Coast). TEC routes aren't prevalent here, and I am typically assigned a TEC route rather than a STAR. Any good destinations besides LAS that are within the ZLA region? Is it worth it to purchase the Western Expansion instead?

ETA: I suppose in my situation it would be prudent to practice more around the LAS region between the various controlled and uncontrolled airfields to work outside the TEC route network?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

TEC routes do exist on east coast (check NY/BOS area). STARS are relatively rare for piston aircraft to be assigned and even more rare to be left on for any length of time as you approach the airport because piston aircraft are typically slower than the bulk of traffic that is also using the same STAR.

If you are working towards your instrument rating, the I-Ratings will be very helpful towards that goal. As such, I would NOT recommend shying away from an operating area that is heavily served by TEC routes. The I-5 does include STARs, too.
jgoth

Post by jgoth »

Understood. I guess what I meant to say is that I currently fly VFR in the SE region. I am based out of Raleigh, NC and expand out to a range of 200NM, mostly to the South and Southwest. If I continue towards my IR, I don't imagine my mission changing radically from that other than maybe going further to the South sometimes. That could change however, and it's possible I see myself gravitating towards the Mid-Atlantic in which case the TEC route practice would come in handy.

I am at I-4 planning on my I-5 next, but the route is distant for piston and I just wanted to approach the challenges posed by the procedures in a more bite sized manner with some slightly shorter routes and then dive in to the rating when I feel more ready (if that makes sense?)
frantzy

Post by frantzy »

jgoth I might recommend you add on the Western Region for a month or more and try some STARs in the Northwest, where terrain clearance requirements put single engine GA at higher altitudes and receiving a STAR assignment is not uncommon. Also we don’t use TEC routes up here.

For example you could fly between KGEG and KPAE and get STARs at both ends in a very realistic ASEL trip. From there you could venture to CYVR (outside PE) where GA arriving IFR will always get a STAR assignment even at low altitudes in r/w

Mike