Cant hear myself on 123.45 (Com 1 and 2)

mikedomanski

Cant hear myself on 123.45 (Com 1 and 2)

Post by mikedomanski »

Mac OS X
X Plane 11.41r
Headset is Bose A20 via USB adapter
Honeycomb Yoke, configured and functions properly
Test of headset hears fine, and the microphone works perfectly doing an audio recording using quicktime. Input and output verified works.
Start X Plane
Plugins->connect pilot edge ok
listen to ATIS and ground control ok
using the assigned button for Contact ATC, depressed during a controller is speaking the audio cuts out verifying the PTT function is working
set com 1 and 2 to 123.45
PTT
do not hear myself

in the preferences for pilot edge, dialog box, it only had output (no input)
Keith Smith

Re: Cant hear myself on 123.45 (Com 1 and 2)

Post by Keith Smith »

Moved to X-Plane room.

Can you post a copy of the PilotEdge_out.txt file from the xplane root folder? That will likely help determine whether there has been an issue opening the audio input device. It uses whatever the default recording device is (according to the operating system). I plan to change that eventually to show a device list as people often aren't aware that it uses the operating system defaults.
mikedomanski

Post by mikedomanski »

Starting up: PilotEdge client, V1.5.3
initVoice with device NULL, returned 0
initial CSL dir = Mac HD:Users:michaeldomanski:Desktop:X-Plane 11:Resources:plugins:PilotEdge:VSPro Resources:CSL
CSL dir = /Users/michaeldomanski/Desktop/X-Plane 11/Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/CSL
PilotEdge initialized
pttAccumulatedTrigger: unable to open login credentials: No such file or directory [Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/VSProConnect.ini]
pttAccumulatedTrigger: unable to open login credentials: No such file or directory [Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/VSProConnect.ini]
Entered deferred startup
completed deferred startup
ConnectPrefs: No such file or directory [Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/VSProConnect.ini]
Setting up connection details...
Checking for slaves...
Checking for server file...
Checking for voice service file...
looking for Mac HD:Users:michaeldomanski:Desktop:X-Plane 11:Aircraft:Laminar Research:Cessna 172SP:PE_voltage.txt
looking for Mac HD:Users:michaeldomanski:Desktop:X-Plane 11:Aircraft:Laminar Research:Cessna 172SP:PE_groundspeed.txt
looking for Mac HD:Users:michaeldomanski:Desktop:X-Plane 11:Aircraft:Laminar Research:Cessna 172SP:PE_com_selector.txt
looking for Mac HD:Users:michaeldomanski:Desktop:X-Plane 11:Aircraft:Laminar Research:Cessna 172SP:PE_com1_frequency.txt
Connecting N13043 with ICAO type: C172
sys ID = C02KH9RKDNC
Connected to PilotEdge Server
Connected to PilotEdge Voice
Sent voice ids to server: 81,82
Checking for traffic relay file...
COM2 is now considered to be off
PTT Trigger, calling disconnect
VSProClient: disconnect() entered
MessageController::sendMsg entered: msg = QUIT
status = 37
VSProClient: sent bye
VSProClient: signalled controller entered
MessageController exiting
VSProClient: connection closed
VSProClient: disconnect() complete
PTT Trigger, calling connect
Checking for slaves...
looking for Mac HD:Users:michaeldomanski:Desktop:X-Plane 11:Aircraft:Laminar Research:Cessna 172SP:PE_voltage.txt
looking for Mac HD:Users:michaeldomanski:Desktop:X-Plane 11:Aircraft:Laminar Research:Cessna 172SP:PE_groundspeed.txt
looking for Mac HD:Users:michaeldomanski:Desktop:X-Plane 11:Aircraft:Laminar Research:Cessna 172SP:PE_com_selector.txt
looking for Mac HD:Users:michaeldomanski:Desktop:X-Plane 11:Aircraft:Laminar Research:Cessna 172SP:PE_com1_frequency.txt
sys ID = C02KH9RKDNC
Sent voice ids to server: 85,86
receiving ping
sending pong
entered disconnect callback, calling disconnect
status = 253
Checking for slaves...
sys ID = C02KH9RKDNC
Sent voice ids to server: 87,88
receiving ping
sending pong
receiving ping
sending pong
status = 38
Checking for slaves...
sys ID = C02KH9RKDNC
Sent voice ids to server: 89,90
status = 37
Checking for slaves...
sys ID = C02KH9RKDNC
Sent voice ids to server: 94,95
mikedomanski

Post by mikedomanski »

I installed Discord on my mac (the app) and did a successful test of the audio microphone and sound.
mikedomanski

Post by mikedomanski »

I saw that com 2 was off. no way to turn it on but by putting X plane in scenery + 2d to actually click the com 2 button to on. then the radio check works. Now - how can i have com 2 start up in the on position?

I added an audio panel to Air Manager my other ipad display so i can actually turn on the com 2, but you need to click it on/off a couple times. its a work around for now until i figure out how to have com 1 and com 2 both on by default.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Mike,

The simultaneous use of COM1/2 is just to establish a loopback on the same frequency so you can hear yourself for the purposes of testing the mic. Alternatively, you could just talk to ATC (I thought you had tried that and it was not working). You don't actually need this functionality for normal operations, unless you plan on, say, picking up the ATIS on com2 while listening to ATC on com1.

To answer your specific question, there are xplane commands to toggle the reception of COM1 or COM2 which can be mapped to a button or a key, just like dropping the gear, raising the flaps, etc.
mikedomanski

Post by mikedomanski »

Thanks Keith! Im going to start CAT training real soon, now that I have a full working setup. I never knew this level of flight sim existed.
davisd100

Post by davisd100 »

I seem to have a similar problem to others on this board. X-Plane 11.5, new install with Torquesim SR22.
First I tried the 123.45/com1/com2 test and got a mixture of radio hiss and a sort of resonant feedback, a very unpleasant noise, on pressing the PTT. Tried changing the PTT, no difference. Tried changing the socket for headset from front to back of PC, got microphone disabled message. Deleted VSPro and tried again, back to noise on PTT press. No actual mike transmission throughout all of this.
Tried changing the plane to a LR C172, reran test, no noise this time, but no transmission either. Got log file below, despite what it says the com2 was lit up. No tx or rx on any of the radios throughout this. After pressing the various assigned PTTs a couple of times, PE announced it was disconnecting. Any thoughts? I am out of ideas...

Starting up: PilotEdge client, V1.6.3
initVoice: playback device: , capture device:
initVoice returned 0
PilotEdge initialized
Entered deferred startup
completed deferred startup
Checking for slaves...
looking for C:\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\Laminar Research\Cessna 172SP\PE_voltage.txt
looking for C:\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\Laminar Research\Cessna 172SP\PE_groundspeed.txt
looking for C:\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\Laminar Research\Cessna 172SP\PE_com_selector.txt
looking for C:\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\Laminar Research\Cessna 172SP\PE_com1_frequency.txt
Connecting N357WT with ICAO type: C172
Sent voice ids to server: 294,295
status = 38
Checking for slaves...
looking for C:\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\Laminar Research\Cessna 172SP\PE_voltage.txt
looking for C:\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\Laminar Research\Cessna 172SP\PE_groundspeed.txt
looking for C:\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\Laminar Research\Cessna 172SP\PE_com_selector.txt
looking for C:\X-Plane 11\Aircraft\Laminar Research\Cessna 172SP\PE_com1_frequency.txt
Connecting N357WT with ICAO type: C172
Sent voice ids to server: 298,299
status = 37
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

A couple of basics to save you some frustration:
1) Pusing the PTT 5 times in a few seconds WILL disconnect you. That is the shortcut for the disconnect/connect toggle that was added for BATD/AATD that don't have easy access to mouse/keyboard.
2) The lack of RX/TX lights is not something we control, that's an xplane function.
3) If you hit the PTT and hear SOMETHING, then the PTT is absolutely working. There is little point in changing it to be something else. The fact that you're not hearing what you're hoping to hear (your voice, for example) is indicative that the input device is something other than what you might be thinking. It is not a PTT issue, therefore changing the PTT to another button/key is not the solution.

The loopback test can result in a true feedback loop if you are outputting to a set of speakers and the mic picks up the output. Make sure you're outputting to a headset (such that it doesn't feedback to the speakers).

If you can't hear your voice in the playback at all, then the mic is either muted, or it's using something other than your mic.

You're nearly there, despite appearances :)