Controllers don't acknowledge CAT-2 rating

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
scotte16

Controllers don't acknowledge CAT-2 rating

Post by scotte16 »

This may just be due to busy airspace, but when I've made my initial contact 10nm east of KSBP in the 2 times I've flown this, I followed the message with "Request CAT-2 rating" and I never get a specific response on that. Should I just query the tower again for confirmation (I don't want to clutter the ATC chatter with something so minor) or put some sort of notification in my flight plan?

Thanks.
Keith Smith

Re: Controllers don't acknowledge CAT-2 rating

Post by Keith Smith »

As of a change that was announced yesterday, you need to file a flight plan for the CAT Ratings in any case (all users were emailed about this). See this page for more info: https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/taking-the-tests

The CAT-2 is a very common and simple test. Once you've mentioned it once, you're generally fine, don't worry about a specific response regarding the rating after the initial call. Complete the rating, then do not disconnect until receiving a result. If you're at the ramp, and are about to shutdown and haven't heard a pass/fail, then ask about it, per the instructions on that page.
scotte16

Post by scotte16 »

Alright. I've filed a flight plan every time, but I was just curious if I should ping the tower after receiving no response.

I'd love to get past this simple test! Thanks!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The CAT-2 is tough becuse it's an airborne start to the rating. In other words, there's no ATC interaction unti the last step. ZLA is a busy place, and SBP is a busy airport, typically, so it's all the controller can do to get you a pattern entry instruction and a landing clearance. Verbally acknowledging the CAT-2 isn't a high priority item, nor is it necessarily clear to the controller that an acknowledgement is required of that particular fact.

I'd only be looking for the result at the ramp. Even if they didn't catch that you were CAT-2 up until that point, they can quickly take stock of how you did and let you know if it's a passing grade or not. Hope that helps.

Just remember, don't log off until you've verified the result is submitted, per the Taking the Tests page.