Visual approach KSBA

dhplane

Visual approach KSBA

Post by dhplane »

Hi guys,

The other day I was approaching Santa Barbara from the southeast and was cleared for the visual approach to 15R. When the tower gave me landing clearance I asked if they wanted me to make right or left traffic... the controller told me to enter a right downwind to 15R, which required me to fly across the departure end before entering the pattern. I landed without incident.

My question is: Does the clearance for the visual approach allow me to approach the runway in the most expeditious way possible (in this case LEFT traffic) or was I correct in seeking clarification?

THX as always... Joey
Keith Smith

Re: Visual approach KSBA

Post by Keith Smith »

In lieu of any other instructions, you'd maneuver as necessary to land on 15R. If tower gives lateral guidance, then it would be need to be followed. Any time you get a pattern entry which requires crossing over, and you don't hear any instructions on where specifically to crossover (ie, "cross overhead midfield, then enter right downwind rwy 15R"), I would question the instruction. Chances are, the controller was thinking left but said right.
dhplane

Re: Visual approach KSBA

Post by dhplane »

Makes sense but I just wanted to be sure... Better safe than sorry... THX!