Noobie Looking for Resources & Direction

skyhigh

Noobie Looking for Resources & Direction

Post by skyhigh »

Hello,

This is my first post, so if I ask questions that have been asked a thousand times in the past, please forgive me and provide a URL. Thanks!

I'm a commercial 107 drone pilot and have decided to study for the Part 61 cert and later go commercial on full-size as well. I've been using X-plane 11 off and on for about a year, so I'm pretty familiar with it. I have plans to buy peripherals (yoke, throttle, pedals, vr goggles).

My goal is to get as immersive as possible to the real thing, as an aid to learning.

Questions:

1. I am able to log into PilotEdge from within x-plane just fine. As for communicating with ground, tower, etc, is it only a matter of choosing the correct frequency for my airport? I'm in the US, Maine. Our airports are controlled by Boston Center in real life.

2. By the same token, can I communicate with other PilotEdge pilots as well?

3. Probably unrelated to PilotEdge, but maybe not.... how can I fly with other people online, much the way I'll be communicating using PilotEdge? I feel stupid asking this because perhaps by signing into PilotEdge I am indeed participating in a virtual NAS? If so, then I can actually see other pilots in x-plane?

Thanks for your patience and your help!

SH
Kevin_atc

Re: Noobie Looking for Resources & Direction

Post by Kevin_atc »

skyhigh wrote: Questions:

1. I am able to log into PilotEdge from within x-plane just fine. As for communicating with ground, tower, etc, is it only a matter of choosing the correct frequency for my airport? I'm in the US, Maine. Our airports are controlled by Boston Center in real life.

2. By the same token, can I communicate with other PilotEdge pilots as well?

3. Probably unrelated to PilotEdge, but maybe not.... how can I fly with other people online, much the way I'll be communicating using PilotEdge? I feel stupid asking this because perhaps by signing into PilotEdge I am indeed participating in a virtual NAS? If so, then I can actually see other pilots in x-plane?

Thanks for your patience and your help!

SH
1. Yes, you use the actual frequency. For instance, if you're trying to call Burbank Ground, you dial in the Burbank Ground frequency (123.9). As an aside, your airports in Maine aren't controlled by Boston Center, they're controlled by the control towers, or maybe they're non-towered. Boston Center only handles the airspace above the airports within their lateral limits where there is no TRACON, but they don't control the airports.

2. The frequencies work just like they do in real life...so yes

3. Yes, you'll see the other traffic within x-plane. As for planning group flights and such, you may engage with the PE community at pilotedge.net/discord.

It seems like you're very new to this, which is fine- everybody starts out somewhere. However, be sure you take some time to read up and learn the basics. PilotEdge has plenty of training materials available to help you, but it'll take some time to comb through everything. Explore PilotEdge's website to learn more about the network (the answers to your questions are all found within the material there). Additionally, when you're ready to start learning aviation-specific material, visit pilotedge.net/workshops and pilotedge.net/training.

Welcome to PE, you'll love it here.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
skyhigh

Post by skyhigh »

Thank you very much, Kevin. I really appreciate your help. And yes, poor choice in verbiage. In far Northern Maine the airports are typically not towered. I meant to say, but use the wrong words, that when using the radio, it's Boston Center who I'd be talking to.

I will dig into the site and learn as much as I can. And hopefully next time I can post a more useful and relevant post. :-)

SH
Ken Quinn

Post by Ken Quinn »

Please note the PilotEdge coverage area. PE covers the western third of the US, so there's no love coverage on PE for New England and the east coast. There is a VATSIM Boston group. I won't say anything about them except that I've explored their operation and choose not to join. So although, like you, I live on east coast (Long Island, NY) for the last year and a half I've been flying the West Coast. Of course one great advantage of this is PilotEdge, the other is the wonderful ORBX scenery, some of which is now becoming available for X-Plane.