From outside In

Rolls737

From outside In

Post by Rolls737 »

Hi all,

The question i have has probably been answered somewhere, or it may be that the answer is just intuitive for others and therefore may not have even been asked. However, I was wondering how one goes about flying from outside PilotEdge Controlled airspace into PilotEdge controlled airspace on a IFR flight. For example, if i want to start a flight in Alaska, Do I plan and file a flight-plan as normal, takeoff and contact the appropriate controller with my position and altitude when I am sure i have entered a coverage area?

If this is the case, what happens if the controller is not satisfied with my route...will they give me midair/flight re-routes (totally happy with that...just want to understand)...seems a bit weird to come flying in at FL330 on a route that has not yet been approved...but if that is how it is, then great.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated

Regards
Rolls737
Redrum

Re: From outside In

Post by Redrum »

Maybe you could call 122.2 and get your IFR clearance.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Rolls737 wrote:Hi all,

The question i have has probably been answered somewhere, or it may be that the answer is just intuitive for others and therefore may not have even been asked. However, I was wondering how one goes about flying from outside PilotEdge Controlled airspace into PilotEdge controlled airspace on a IFR flight. For example, if i want to start a flight in Alaska, Do I plan and file a flight-plan as normal, takeoff and contact the appropriate controller with my position and altitude when I am sure i have entered a coverage area?

If this is the case, what happens if the controller is not satisfied with my route...will they give me midair/flight re-routes (totally happy with that...just want to understand)...seems a bit weird to come flying in at FL330 on a route that has not yet been approved...but if that is how it is, then great.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated

Regards
Rolls737
Yes, file ahead of time and then as soon as you enter the coverage area, locate a high-enroute frequency using an enroute chart and call up with your position, altitude, and request for a clearance.

This is something that has no real world equivalent so there’s really no perfect way to do it.
Redrum wrote:Maybe you could call 122.2 and get your IFR clearance.
That wouldn’t work at all as 122.2 doesn’t work above 40 knots.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Redrum wrote:Maybe you could call 122.2 and get your IFR clearance.
https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/getting-started, read the section on Radio Notes. 122.20 was implmeneted on our network to simulate a phone call from the ground to the overlying facility. It's not to be used in the air.

Pilots need to be aware of how to raise a center controller by looking up the the frequency from enroute charts, or referencing an approach plate for the nearest airport which has published instrument approaches. Those are the techniques you'd use in the airplane.
Rolls737

Post by Rolls737 »

Thank you very much all,

I really appreciate the replies, looking forward to trying it out...But first, this weekend calls for "lighting up" the PHX TRACON...rock on.