Type of Approach?

dmackusick

Type of Approach?

Post by dmackusick »

I am sorry to ask such a dumb question, but I’m new at this. I have been flying VFR in a C172 w/o flight following and doing good with departing and landing at Class D airports. Today I did my first landing at a Class C airport and all was going well until the approach controller asked what type of approach I wanted. I didn’t know what to say. Was he just asking if I wanted a visual approach? Or something more specific?
Keith Smith

Re: Type of Approach?

Post by Keith Smith »

The controller likely confused you with an IFR aircraft. "Approach" refers to a SIAP (Standard Instrument Approach Procedure). The best response would've been, "we are a VFR arrival," after which the controller would've snapped out of it and given you VFR pattern entry instructions.
dmackusick

Re: Type of Approach?

Post by dmackusick »

Thanks Keith! That makes sense. I will not make that mistake again. To the controller's credit after I expressed some confusion he went ahead with VFR pattern entry instructions. Really enjoying PilotEdge though I get a little nervous on most flights. I've been following the VFR Communications manual and trying to get it right, but when I make a mistake your controllers have been kind but firm in correcting me.