East Ramp or West Ramp??

luckyb52

East Ramp or West Ramp??

Post by luckyb52 »

Hi All,

I'm a bit confused about how to describe where I'm parked in the aerodrome when asking for taxiing permission. I would like to say, "Parked on the East Ramp" or "Parked on the West Ramp"... but for that, I need to know the reference point for deciding the direction. Is it with respect to the tower, the center of the airport diagram or some other point?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
Keith Smith

Re: East Ramp or West Ramp??

Post by Keith Smith »

relative to the center of the airport. If you're parking at an FBO, feel free to use the name of the FBO. You can also reference the location with respect to the nearest taxiway intersections. Basically, the controller needs to know which taxiways need to be issued to get you into the non-movement area. Once you're on the non-movement area (the ramp), where you go after that is not of a concern to the controller.

If you say, "east ramp" for BFL, that doesn't help a great deal, as there are 10+ entrances to the 'east ramp'. Either a specific facility name will do the job in those cases, or simply tell the controller which entrance you'll need into the ramp, ie, "Alpha 13 to the ramp" or something along those lines.
luckyb52

Re: East Ramp or West Ramp??

Post by luckyb52 »

Thanks very much, Keith! :)