Seeking feedback on VFR flight following

patrickperalta

Seeking feedback on VFR flight following

Post by patrickperalta »

Hello! Yesterday I requested VFR flight following out of SMO. I asked for the mini route and missed the "unable" from my initial contact. I had mixed up the Mini Route and Special Flight Rules. When I finally understood what was happening I climbed back up...into the Bravo. :cry:

What I'm confused about is this - should I have been issued a transponder code? Or did that not apply because the Special Flight Rules do not require ATC contact. Would the right thing have been to cross over LAX then contact approach for flight following?

Here's the audio of my request at SMO:
http://audio.pilotedge.net/2020/6/2020- ... .mp3#t=270

Thanks!
Patrick
Keith Smith

Re: Seeking feedback on VFR flight following

Post by Keith Smith »

Are you asking how to fly the SFRA transition? If so, it starts outside of the Bravo airspace at 3500/4500, either NW or SE of LAX. You cannot climb up into the Bravo and join the transition midway through the route.

In terms of comms, if you want to coordinate flight following once you are clear of the mini-route, that's not a problem, but it's a 100% unrelated to the mini-route at that point.

There is a discrete squawk code associated with the SFRA, it is 1201. There is no need to call ATC to request the miniroute as the procedure has its own self-announcing frequency.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Corrected my post above, it was a mish-mosh of SFRA/miniroute altitudes/codes, my apologies. This is what happens when TBC (typing before coffee).
patrickperalta

Post by patrickperalta »

Thanks for the response Keith! What if I were already on flight following and I wanted to transition over LAX via the SFRA? Would I switch to the SFRA frequency (and squawk 1201) and back to the controller after?
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

The controller will drop your flight following prior to entering the SFRA, and it's unlikely they'll coordinate flight following for you to receive on the other side. It would be an entirely different controller's sector, so plan on requesting FF once you exit the SFRA as you normally would.
latebrake911

Post by latebrake911 »

Hi. sorry if wrong place to ask. Been looking thru the forums and discord chats. I did all the CAT, and most of the IFR ratings. But didnt' see one which did the SFRA. e.g. In want to to from KSNA to KBUR. I would get FF out of KSNA but then sounds like have to switch to 1201 for the SFRA to SMO, then get back with So Cal before getting on to KBUR since its a Charlie. Maybe i can just call so call after the SFRA at SMO. --I did the I-03: First TEC Route (KSNA-KBUR) several times and like it. Just want to try VFR. thx
Also if i go to KVNY, maybe i can skip SoCal and go directly to the Tower to get in.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

latebrake911 wrote:Hi. sorry if wrong place to ask. Been looking thru the forums and discord chats. I did all the CAT, and most of the IFR ratings. But didnt' see one which did the SFRA. e.g. In want to to from KSNA to KBUR. I would get FF out of KSNA but then sounds like have to switch to 1201 for the SFRA to SMO, then get back with So Cal before getting on to KBUR since its a Charlie. Maybe i can just call so call after the SFRA at SMO. --I did the I-03: First TEC Route (KSNA-KBUR) several times and like it. Just want to try VFR. thx
Also if i go to KVNY, maybe i can skip SoCal and go directly to the Tower to get in.
Discord is always a better place for any discussion, FYI. But you’re on the right track. As you approach the bravo if you’re getting flight following, make your SFRA intentions known to SoCal. They’ll then terminate you when the time is right and you’ll fly the SFRA. You can then choose to pick up flight following again on the other side, or not.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
virtualDon

Post by virtualDon »

Bill4LE has a few great YT vids dealing with the Los Angeles SFRA. Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=theHqbEsT34