[Jul 21-25] SimVenture 2020

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Keith Smith

Re: [Jul 21-25] SimVenture 2020

Post by Keith Smith »

n85988 wrote:What a wonderful event! I had such an outstanding experience. And the controllers did an amazing job. Thanks to everyone who helped put this event together. You are amazing. Hope this becomes a regular event. I was only able to fly it one day, as the other days I had to work during the hours posted for this event. Once again, a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone involved in putting this together ( for those pilots who participated in it).
Sorry to hear you won't be able to join us on Fri/Sat, I have a feeling it's going to be quite a show! It's great that you at least got to visit us once, though...this is quite a unique opportunity, although were are hopeful, based on feedback from NATCA and EAA that we'll be able to do this again in the future and slowly expand the scope to include operations beyond just the Fisk Arrival, although, by volume, that is really the heart of the show.

That said, just like we added the EAA tour helicopter(s) and had the Trimotors, it would be amazing to incorporate as much of the real world show as we can.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Not that it really matters with only one session to go, but I did have a problem, yesterday, when approaching 36L in a line for a take-off. I noticed everything had gone quiet on 126.6. So, I listened on 120.7 and 118.50. All dead. Yet, I was still on the network, and could see the CSLs in front of me, taxiing, and taking off, etc.
So, I disconnected, reset the sim., and re-connected with myself on the grass parking near the runway. All audio on PE coming in perfectly again. Taxied down to the take-off line, and all OK. Gradually, I moved forward, as those ahead were taking off. With about two ahead of me, the comms. went quiet again. I gave up!
Default X-Plane 172 on an iMac. X-Plane 11.41. Latest PE software installed to get all the new CSLs (although the mac.xpl is the same March 2019 file). Also, v1.4 of the scenery. I tried the ortho, but removed it, after one flight, as the railroad and Fisk Avenue were much harder to see and follow than without it!

Just curious as to whether I'm unique with this audio problem - but, as I said, it will be a problem gone by the end of the day! Also interesting was the variable visibility of nearby planes, and I had discussed this in earlier practice with other pilots. I could be in what looked to be a crowded line on the map, yet not see much traffic ahead of me, except if someone was pretty close. Also, some appeared to be off course, but this could be scenery mis-match between different simulators, I suppose. Or, they were not on course!! Looked fine on the ground.

This has been so much fun. Thanks to all of you for making it happen. Also, a big shout out to the fabulous, friendly RW controllers, who got the "PE" feel just right.
Scott Medeiros

Post by Scott Medeiros »

It sounds like your radios were going dead. When idle on the ground, make sure to keep the RPM above ~1000RPM in order for the alternator to continue providing a positive charge to the battery so it doesn't drain.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Scott Medeiros wrote:It sounds like your radios were going dead. When idle on the ground, make sure to keep the RPM above ~1000RPM in order for the alternator to continue providing a positive charge to the battery so it doesn't drain.
Thanks for that. It's possible, I suppose. I have rarely forgotten to put the alternator on, as I tend to click it on together with the master battery switch. However, I could have missed it - twice? Or, there was a failure, which in all the excitement, I did not even look for :D
aventura

Post by aventura »

Thank you Pilotedge! I approached this event with trepidation, as I feared I would mess up. Luckily it all went smoothly and I landed on 36R without incurring in the ire of the controller!

The controllers were simply amazing and being surrounded by traffic was really an exhilarating experience. Well done folks!
C177pilot

Post by C177pilot »

Wow, I was so impressed by PilotEdge with the SimVenture that they put on. I've been a subscriber for several years now and it helped greatly while I was working on my instrument rating about 4 years ago, but SimVenture was the most fun I've ever had on any simulator environment. It was so good that I don't know how I can explain it to other pilots. They will never believe it.
I really hope that PilotEdge does this again next year. Another pilot on the network suggested doing SimVenture 1wk before AirVenture so that we can all dry run the arrivals.
This was really great. Thank you to PilotEdge and all the real OshKosh controllers. The experience of the controllers was the key to it all.
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Had a great time flying this event. Really hope this becomes an annual thing. Perhaps the week prior to get the controllers ready for the big event. Plus with seeing how popular this was and new platforms for sims coming out, get some major developers on board for making some amazing scenery. Anyway, heres a time lapse of about an hour of traffic flow on Saturday.

https://youtu.be/HSsonValGEI
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Kilstorm wrote:Had a great time flying this event. Really hope this becomes an annual thing. Perhaps the week prior to get the controllers ready for the big event. Plus with seeing how popular this was and new platforms for sims coming out, get some major developers on board for making some amazing scenery. Anyway, heres a time lapse of about an hour of traffic flow on Saturday.

https://youtu.be/HSsonValGEI
Thanks for putting that together!
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord