Coverage Areas

skyhigh

Coverage Areas

Post by skyhigh »

Hi,

Disclaimer: I'm strongly assuming this question has been asked several times in the past but having attempted several searches I was not able to find anything. If anyone has a link, please post. Thank you.

I'm curious to know why PilotEdge doesn't cover the entire US or at least more parts of it. I'm a new member and am really getting a ton out of it. I live in Maine and would love to be able to use it for airports in this area.

Thanks,

SH
Keith Smith

Re: Coverage Areas

Post by Keith Smith »

The effort, complexity and cost of building, maintaining and staffing each operating area (right now we have two of them), 15 hours per day, 7 days per week with accurate procedures and quality ATC is higher than most people realize.

There was a clear need to branch out beyond ZLA, that's why we built WUS. The 'need' (in terms of training value) to build beyond that is less clear. You would "love to be able to use it for airports in this area," just as everyone would like to fly in their home area. I've flown to a few airports in Maine (I'm based in NJ). I've also flown to California and back, Florida and back (10+ times), Texas and back (6 times), Oshkosh and back (7-8 times), etc. There just isn't much that is procedurally unique about any of it.

There is tremendous demand for a NE offering, so at some point we might try to address that, but national coverage is far from a 'no brainer'. It's unclear that there is a strong enough market to support it at all as the costs MORE than double as you double the staffing level due to admin, scheduling, training, etc.
skyhigh

Re: Coverage Areas

Post by skyhigh »

Thanks, Keith,

Agreed, there doesn't seem to be anything procedurally different. And agreed, it's just a nice to have.

I appreciate your reply and thanks.

SH