When Do I Report ATIS to ATC

MWDilday

When Do I Report ATIS to ATC

Post by MWDilday »

During my real pilot flying I always reported ATIS when requesting taxi. "N5302U at Martin Air ready to taxi with Bravo". In all of the CAT rating flight documents the transcript said when requesting clearance. Now in the I rating flight documents so far it shows reporting ATIS when requesting taxi. Is there a right or wrong way or a best way?
Keith Smith

Re: When Do I Report ATIS to ATC

Post by Keith Smith »

There is no 'clearance' in the CAT Rating flights since they're VFR, except for the flight out of LAX, which requires a Bravo clearance on the ground. The ATIS records specify "advise on initial contact you have information [current ATIS code]." Whichever controller you call first, let them know you have the ATIS. Real world, the controller will notate on your flight progress strip which ATIS code you reported, and that will be passed to the next controller (assuming clearance, ground and tower are separately staffed).

On PE, the controller may not have their system configured where they notate the ATIS code for reasons of scale. Combine that with the fact that clearance/ground will normally be the same controller on PE, if you report the ATIS to clnc, there's a chance that when you call for taxi later on without the ATIS code, they might ask you if you have it. I've seen this happen r/w, too, many times.

Knowing all of that, practically speaking, I would report it to clearance and then to ground while flying on PE.
MWDilday

Re: When Do I Report ATIS to ATC

Post by MWDilday »

Thanks Keith that makes perfect sense.