Radios are reporting dead

Randomandy

Radios are reporting dead

Post by Randomandy »

I'm trying to get up and running on XPlane 11.5. (I've been on P3D prior to now.) The install was pretty simple and it allows me to connect to the network, but kicks me off after a minute or two. I can hear and communicate pretty well at first, but then I'm cut off. At one point when I transmitted, I would hear myself in a loud echo. My plane on the live map eventually displays one of my frequencies as 199.998. So, I've read in past posts this means PE sees my radios as having failed. Does anyone have tips on how to diagnose this problem?
  • Happens on at least the stock G1000 172 and the HMB ST22.
  • RPMs are above 1000. Voltage appears fine.
  • Radios tune fine.
  • I've been testing out Smart CoPilot, but have since removed it for troubleshooting purposes. Problem persists.
  • I've restarted XP11 numerous times.
  • Restarted machine (Windows10).
Looking for some other leads to follow. Thanks.
Randomandy

Re: Radios are reporting dead

Post by Randomandy »

Some more details:
  • It is only Com2 that is dead. Com1 seems to work fine. I switch back and forth and see this reflected when monitoring the live map. Same is true for both aircraft I tested.
  • I looked at equipment failures but don't see any indication of a radio being failed intentionally.
  • xMaybe this is entirely an XPlane issue. I'd welcome any tips on how to diagnose that for sure. I haven't found logs that might shed light on this.
  • I tried resetting X-Plane preferences but that did not fix either.
Last edited by Randomandy on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

You seem quite familiar with flying, but I still feel the need to verify you know how to switch on COMM2?
I only ask because it’s strange that COMM1 would be just fine. In the default steam gauge Skyhawk, you just need to select the COM2 button above the GPS unit. Once that light is illuminated, it should be working.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Randomandy

Post by Randomandy »

Yes, to spell it out in more detail, I know I am switching successfully between radios because the radio I've selected illuminates the frequency in green just as IRL. But also, I can see on the PE map that my frequency has changed and it matches the respective radio I just selected. The problem is that when I've switched to Comm2, the PE list also shows the 199.998 indication and then, within a minute or two, I disappear from the map. My understanding is that is evidence that PE thinks my comm2 is dead. Comm1 doesn't do this and remains connected. I can change frequencies on either radio also and they reflect properly in the PE map.

Also, just verified PE version 1.6.3c for Windows.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Have you tried deleting the plugin and just downloading a new one? That’s often a good way to fix strange issues like this one.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Randomandy

Post by Randomandy »

Yes. It didn’t change anything.
Something I did has resulted in not being kicked off the network as quickly, and it lets me keep talking to ATC, but they still lose me on radar.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

So your radio issue is fixed now and you're just dealing with getting kicked from the network periodically?

By the way, for more real time assistance that's more efficient than forums, I invite you to visit the PilotEdge Discord chat server: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing