GPS-A Approach into Libby Montana

gregloegering

GPS-A Approach into Libby Montana

Post by gregloegering »

I am not a real-world pilot, but am trying to learn about the IFR system via the Sky High Charter Scenarios. In preparation for the Sky High #6 Scenario, I flew from Tillamook to Libby and shot the GPS-A approach into Libby.

I think that I violated the MDA into Libby, but wanted to post this in the forum to confirm my suspicion. The airport had an overcast layer down to 4400 feet MSL, so I was in IMC until then.

In the MDA block of the procedure it specifies an MDA of 5240-1.25 and under that an MDA 2700-1.24. How are the two altitudes to be interpreted? If the MDA was 5240 feet MSL and I was IMC until 4400 feet MSL, did I violate the MDA and should have gone missed?
Keith Smith

Re: GPS-A Approach into Libby Montana

Post by Keith Smith »

I would suggest viewing the workshops on instrument approaches: https://pilotedge.net/workshops, it covers the concept of minimums in detail.

The big numbers are MSL, the small numbers are AGL. If you reach the MDA and don't have the required visual elements, then you can't continue to descend below the MDA. That is the implication of the term "Minimum Descent Altitude."
gregloegering

Re: GPS-A Approach into Libby Montana

Post by gregloegering »

Thanks Keith. I appreciate you confirming my suspicion.