[Dec 19th, 2020] 3-6pm PST - Santa Scramble

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?

[Dec 19th, 2020] 3-6pm PST - Santa Scramble

Postby Kevin_atc » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:07 pm

We're counting down the days until SANTA1 departs the North Pole on its annual quest around the globe, so December's event will be within the ZLA coverage area featuring many of the "Santa" airports along the Southern California coastal area.

There's no published order for this event- it's more of a "free for all" between the published 5 Santa airports. VFR, IFR, and even pattern work are all encouraged!

For the first time, we're featuring a few non-towered airports for the event. IFR pilots are encouraged to cancel their IFR prior to landing (if able) if heading into these non-towered airports in order to allow the airport to maintain a high level of efficiency during the event.

Image
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Kevin_atc
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: [Dec 19th, 2020] 3-pm PST - Santa Scramble

Postby kullery » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:05 pm

Poor Santa Cruz Ranch (44CA). Treated like Rudolph when he wasn’t allowed to play any reindeer games.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
MyFlightRoute.com
Image
kullery
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:13 am
Location: Medina, OH

Re: [Dec 19th, 2020] 3-6pm PST - Santa Scramble

Postby Keith Smith » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:45 am

Looks like a fun one! The drones for these airports will be disabled on the day, too.
Keith Smith
 
Posts: 9904
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: Pompton Plains, NJ

Re: [Dec 19th, 2020] 3-6pm PST - Santa Scramble

Postby Les Parson » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:58 am

Speaking of drones, is there a location within the forums and/or website that describes PE drones/UAVs in detail?
Les Parson
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: [Dec 19th, 2020] 3-6pm PST - Santa Scramble

Postby Keith Smith » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:04 pm

We used to maintain a list on the old web site before we launched before Oct 1 2011, but didn't feel it was worth porting over to the new site. This is the first anyone's asked in 9 years, so our guess was about right :)

You can use the online map (turn on the drone display, click on each drone and the flight plan will show where it's going to/from).
Keith Smith
 
Posts: 9904
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:38 pm
Location: Pompton Plains, NJ

Re: [Dec 19th, 2020] 3-6pm PST - Santa Scramble

Postby kullery » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Currently active drone list is also available here:

http://www.myflightroute.com/users.php?drone=X
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
MyFlightRoute.com
Image
kullery
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:13 am
Location: Medina, OH

Re: [Dec 19th, 2020] 3-6pm PST - Santa Scramble

Postby maxmoe » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:01 pm

So is this on Dec 19 or Dec 13. Your homepage has wording saying Dec 13.

See attached
Attachments
947FDC79-240E-4C00-B5FA-442C7EC10F33.jpeg
947FDC79-240E-4C00-B5FA-442C7EC10F33.jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 2312 times
maxmoe
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:54 pm

Re: [Dec 19th, 2020] 3-6pm PST - Santa Scramble

Postby maxmoe » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:07 pm

Keith Smith wrote:We used to maintain a list on the old web site before we launched before Oct 1 2011, but didn't feel it was worth porting over to the new site. This is the first anyone's asked in 9 years, so our guess was about right :)

You can use the online map (turn on the drone display, click on each drone and the flight plan will show where it's going to/from).


Are the drones visible within the sim by default or is there a setting to make them visible while flying? Will ATC call them out as traffic? (X-plane)
maxmoe
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:54 pm

Re: [Dec 19th, 2020] 3-6pm PST - Santa Scramble

Postby Shawn Goldsworthy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:53 pm

maxmoe wrote:So is this on Dec 19 or Dec 13. Your homepage has wording saying Dec 13.

See attached


Fixed. It's the 19th.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Image
Shawn Goldsworthy
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: [Dec 19th, 2020] 3-6pm PST - Santa Scramble

Postby Scott Medeiros » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:34 am

maxmoe wrote:
Keith Smith wrote:We used to maintain a list on the old web site before we launched before Oct 1 2011, but didn't feel it was worth porting over to the new site. This is the first anyone's asked in 9 years, so our guess was about right :)

You can use the online map (turn on the drone display, click on each drone and the flight plan will show where it's going to/from).


Are the drones visible within the sim by default or is there a setting to make them visible while flying? Will ATC call them out as traffic? (X-plane)


The drones will be displayed by your simulator by default on all platforms. They are VFR aircraft, flying to/from uncontrolled airports and class E airspace. ATC handles these as they would any other VFR aircraft not in contact with ATC, and will point out these VFR aircraft on a workload permitting basis. Keep your eyes open, the airspace is full of traffic (just like real airspace!).
Scott Medeiros
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:49 am
Location: Atlanta, GA


Return to Fly with me

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests