Recording screencasts in X-Plane on iMac and PilotEdge

breadwild

Recording screencasts in X-Plane on iMac and PilotEdge

Post by breadwild »

Hello,

Hopefully, I have the right form. I didn't see any category which matches my question.

I've been recording videos for YouTube (shameless plug: youtube.com/breadwild) since 2013. I've been using ScreenFlow screencasting software without any issues.
However, now that I've joined PilotEdge, I realize the ScreenFlow app is not recording incoming audio from PilotEdge.

My question: does anybody record videos on their Mac and are able to pick up PilotEdge communications? If so what's your secret?

Thanks!

Brad (breadwild)
YouTube Channel (X-Plane)
X-Plane Tools (.fms generators)
Keith Smith

Re: Recording screencasts in X-Plane on iMac and PilotEdge

Post by Keith Smith »

OBS Studio is available for Mac. If it's half as good as the PC version (i have no reason to think it wouldn't be), then it's a no-brainer. It supports capture from multiple audio sources, recording to multiple tracks, or mixing down to a smaller number of tracks. It's actually pretty astounding how much flexibility it has for an open-source tool.
breadwild

Post by breadwild »

That sound you hear is a head slap. I use OBS for streaming live events, but never thought of it for screencasting.
Thanks so much for the tip. My small following on YT may be emboldened to join the PilotEdge family if I can get it right.

Brad (breadwild)

UPDATE: OBS Studio for Mac doesn't work (tried Blackhole, iShowup, soundflower extensions).
breadwild

Post by breadwild »

Keith or whoever,

Is there a link that explains how PilotEdge connects to XP? I can record XP environment, my mic, but now output from PilotEdge. So strange that I hear it through my headphones, but no configuration I can find records PilotEdge chatter of any kind.

Thanks.
Brad
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If XP and PE are outputting to the same audio device, there is no reason that an audio capture of that device would include XP but not PE.

I normally have OBS set up to capture 3 audio devices (and mix down to one channel if streaming, or keep it as 3 separate channels if recording so that I can alter levels in post on any audio channel):
1) headphone output
2) mic input
3) speaker output