XPlane 11 running slow after Pilot Edge Connect

sgabriel

Re: XPlane 11 running slow after Pilot Edge Connect

Post by sgabriel »

Hello friends, and a happy and better new year to you all...

I found that I must have Metal active to run PilotEdge where there might be more than one or two drone aircraft within visual range. After an eternity (it has seemed) of experiencing intermittent fps drops from ±60 to 1 or 2 fps, and torturing myself looking for overbearing CSLs or plugin conflicts, checking "Use Metal Driver for Faster Rendering" cleared the problem up.

Sadly, using Metal forecloses on my using SkyMAXX Pro for clouds, but them's the breaks. Happy to have PilotEdge working predictably again. (Nothing like going to 2 fps on short final after a two-hour flight!)

I don't know if it's just an issue with my lower-end hardware, but it might help to warn people up front of this little possibility?
pxlmonk

Post by pxlmonk »

Is there an update to this?

I recently installed XP11 and I'm experiencing the same issue.

As soon as I log into PE, the system immediately slows down to where even panning left and right from the pilot's pov causes stuttering.

I attached my log.txt file from the last start up if this helps.

PM
Attachments
log.txt for X-Plane 11.53r1 (build 115301 64-bit 014cebe7ef38d71e42ceba06b3424c3ccd446758….pdf
(103.53 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

pxlmonk wrote:Is there an update to this?

I recently installed XP11 and I'm experiencing the same issue.

As soon as I log into PE, the system immediately slows down to where even panning left and right from the pilot's pov causes stuttering.

I attached my log.txt file from the last start up if this helps.

PM
Are your AI aircraft turned off? Any 3rd party traffic or ATC plugins aside from PilotEdge? For faster support, visit our Discord. https://youtu.be/-TAWghDfK5E
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
pxlmonk

Post by pxlmonk »

I've set everything to the minimum values.

As soon as I log into PE everything slows. When I disconnect, I can run X-Plane fine.

I tried using different birds thinking that was the issue, but I had the same result.

I saw the link you added for Discord. I'll try posting there.

PM
pxlmonk

Post by pxlmonk »

Hi Kevin, so I posted in Discord. Pretty much the input i was getting from others devolved into a sidebar of folks talking about their own system builds and how much faster their systems were than mine.

At this point, is the issue the fact that I have an older Mac and PE is just taking my CPU over threshold? Or is it some bug that can be addressed?

If there are other options I can attempt, I'd like to give it a shot before I cancel my PE membership until I can get a faster rig.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Yes, we were waiting for you to chime back in but you never did. Have you monitored your CPU/GPU usage while using XPlane 11 to see if it’s pushing your system to the limit?

Discord would be faster than the forums if you want to discuss this further.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

pxlmonk wrote:Hi Kevin, so I posted in Discord. Pretty much the input i was getting from others devolved into a sidebar of folks talking about their own system builds and how much faster their systems were than mine.

At this point, is the issue the fact that I have an older Mac and PE is just taking my CPU over threshold? Or is it some bug that can be addressed?

If there are other options I can attempt, I'd like to give it a shot before I cancel my PE membership until I can get a faster rig.
It's unclear what the cause is, but the report above your post indicated that Metal (the replacement for OpenGL) was required for the system to perform correctly when drawing PilotEdge aircraft. You can likely validate this by connecting in an area where there are no aircraft at all (Miami, Chicago, NY, Alaska, London, Sydney....something along those lines). I suspect you won't see any drop in frame rate because the plugin won't be trying to draw aircraft.