Congratulations to PilotEdge Team on SimVenture 2021!

ValinHawK

Congratulations to PilotEdge Team on SimVenture 2021!

Post by ValinHawK »

I just want to acknowledge the great job everyone did setting up and executing Pilotedge's SimVenture 2021! I've been to the real thing 19 times. What a great way to get pilot's familiar with the Oshkosh AirVenture arrival procedures, to practice for them and have some unique aviation fun. I hadn't used PilotEdge for some time but when I saw this event I updated my old flight sim and signed up again.

It has me curious of what tools the sim controllers use for working the FISK position and for tower control at the runways. Do they use something like the ChasePlane camera app for the controllers visuals to see when pilots rock their wings and other details...?

The only minor issues in my sim was some of the flagmen were standing too close on the taxiway and I thought my sim would ignore the collision -- changed to ignore collisions setting right away. And, on Sunday's session, my radio connection was lost twice while I could still see the other airplanes and traffic. I was able to reconnect on the client without issue, though, other than my sim airplane probably stopping in midair while I reconnected.

On a side note, I'm using P3Dv5.22 sim and during the event some of the other pilot's airplanes showed up as what they were actually using in their sims while other airplanes were just my sim's default airplane, which is a Mooney. It was funny to see a Mooney pitched up on the ground like it was a tail dragger. It would be nice to always see the actual airplane others are flying in their sims -- any advice on how to insure that?

Thanks!

ValinHawK
Kevin_atc

Re: Congratulations to PilotEdge Team on SimVenture 2021!

Post by Kevin_atc »

The controllers do a fantastic job, especially adapting to seeing everything on their computer screen vs with binoculars like what they’re used to at the real show.

Last year, the model matching was perfect in X-Plane. This year, we allowed people to fly whichever livery/aircraft they wanted so it’s literally impossible to nail the model matching. Overall, my advice would be to upgrade to X-Plane as that has the best potential for model matching moving forward (not to mention the scenery being light years better than FSX/P3D).

Thanks for the kind words, glad you had fun!
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
ValinHawK

Post by ValinHawK »

Thanks for the explanation and advice Kevin! I have a Lancair Legacy in real life and use the (now defunct) RealAir Simulation Lancair Legacy aircraft model which isn't available for X-Plane or I'd have already switched.

Is the software used by PilotEdge controllers to provide Tower or other static views proprietary to PilotEdge?
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

ValinHawK wrote:Is the software used by PilotEdge controllers to provide Tower or other static views proprietary to PilotEdge?
I believe there’s a good Lancair for X-Plane. And the tower software is modified specifically for PilotEdge, yes.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
davidspreckeriii

Post by davidspreckeriii »

Correct, aerobask have a Lancair, both RG and FG, albeit the FG is no longer supported by them, but you can find it around.