What is the best wat Starting IFR communication

deansalman

What is the best wat Starting IFR communication

Post by deansalman »

Hi, I am flying a 737 800 and understand how to setup and fly a IRF, what is new is the communication using PE now which I have been off line a while because I am doing IFR. Is using the I rating training here would a simple C172 standard be best and just fly it without autopilot
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star
Kevin_atc

Re: What is the best wat Starting IFR communication

Post by Kevin_atc »

You’ve taken the path of many sim-only pilots where you’ve “learned” how to fly a large passenger jet before learning the basics of flying.

It’ll do you some good to pump the brakes a bit and start with the CAT (VFR) training ratings. There are VFR concepts that carry over into IFR flying that you’re likely unaware of. Give the VFR ratings a go, then you’ll be ready to tackle the IFR rating program. And yes, a C172 would be a perfect airplane for the ratings. You may be able to step it up to a Bonanza or Baron for the longer legs if you feel comfortable.

After completing these programs, you’ll be amazed at how much more you know and how proficient you’ve become when talking on the radios.

Also, you mentioned flying “without the auto pilot.” Use of the auto pilot is entirely at your discretion. It’s not cheating, it’s simply a tool in the cockpit.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
deansalman

Post by deansalman »

Thank Kevin, I should have given some history on my sim background. I never flew a 737 or large jet in the 30 years of using a flight simulator but I am so impressed with the PDGM 737-800 I started that a few months ago. . I have done VFR with PE for a few years (mostly twins) now and did the Cat rating. I have watched all of Keith's videos on IFR and also and have an online ground school course in IRF even though I understand SIDS and STARS and other concepts pretty well now. The IFR communication with ATC is the only thing I have not done. Thanks for confirming using the C172, I was thinking if I had a slower plane, I have time to think.
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

deansalman wrote:Thank Kevin, I should have given some history on my sim background. I never flew a 737 or large jet in the 30 years of using a flight simulator but I am so impressed with the PDGM 737-800 I started that a few months ago. . I have done VFR with PE for a few years (mostly twins) now and did the Cat rating. I have watched all of Keith's videos on IFR and also and have an online ground school course in IRF even though I understand SIDS and STARS and other concepts pretty well now. The IFR communication with ATC is the only thing I have not done. Thanks for confirming using the C172, I was thinking if I had a slower plane, I have time to think.
Gotcha. Well if it’s IFR communication that you need help with, you should certainly complete the I-ratings. You can even take it a step further and purchase the IFR communications manual here: https://pilotworkshop.com/products/ifr- ... on/?disc=3
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
deansalman

Post by deansalman »

I think I need to do the I Rating with a simpler aircraft than a B737. So I will do that and fly VFR with the 737 while on PE. I will get that manual, not sure if it will help but it is cheap enough so I do not mind either way
Dean Salman
N117SB Diamond Twin Star
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Kevin_atc wrote:You can even take it a step further and purchase the IFR communications manual
Thanks Kevin. I hadnt ever noticed that existed. Happily the owner of that now and looking forward to receiving my spiral bound book. That thing is like the new testament to the FAR AIM as a bible goes.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA