My IFR setup

Kilstorm

My IFR setup

Post by Kilstorm »

I normally dont use the GTN750 iPad setup connected via DUET when simming as I like the option to pop in and out of VR. However, yesterday I wanted to do some "intense" IFR flying out of Yakima KYKM. I picked that place because of all the various DPs and Approaches that also offer hold climbs and DME Arcs. In real life I've done some IFR training including making it a bucket list to put in my logbooks all the various types of approaches. So far Ive got LOC BC, ILS, VOR, DME Arc and RNAV. I feel Im only missing an NDB one.

For my flight yesterday I flew the WENAS7.TITON transition and held before returning to the field to fly the full ILS 27 from WIKIK for a low approach, execute the published missed and then the ILS 27 out of the hold to XOLOW following a procedure turn into the ILS for a full stop. I was rather happy with my abilities as I wanted to do as much as I could hand flying and used autopilot in the holds to prep the next steps with radio set up and chart prep since it uses both a VOR for the DMEs and ILS. I was able to hand fly 50% of the DME Arc and both approaches and the procedure turn rather well. WX was MVFR with a 5SM viz and 015OVC in light winds.

Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA