one of them days!

Ryan B

Re: one of them days!

Post by Ryan B »

I don't hand fly jets very often at all. I find without tactile feedback (and physical manipulation of switches/knobs etc) it can be tough to click on a spot in the cockpit with my mouse while doing all the stuff two crew members would do - all while flying along at 300+ ktas.

I think some people have physical hardware for radio stack/avionics all that stuff. I find manipulating avionics in XP10 is even more difficult than P3D/FSX world. I have assigned a few of my joystick buttons to other functions but still... ugh. I sometimes hand fly the DDENN CL30 - the clickspots for the radio/navigation operation are a NIGHTMARE! So much that I typically stay away from that thing unless I'm feeling totally on top of my game (and none of my passengers aka children are screaming at me LOL)
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Ryan B wrote:I don't hand fly jets very often at all. I find without tactile feedback (and physical manipulation of switches/knobs etc) it can be tough to click on a spot in the cockpit with my mouse while doing all the stuff two crew members would do - all while flying along at 300+ ktas.

I think some people have physical hardware for radio stack/avionics all that stuff. I find manipulating avionics in XP10 is even more difficult than P3D/FSX world. I have assigned a few of my joystick buttons to other functions but still... ugh. I sometimes hand fly the DDENN CL30 - the clickspots for the radio/navigation operation are a NIGHTMARE! So much that I typically stay away from that thing unless I'm feeling totally on top of my game (and none of my passengers aka children are screaming at me LOL)
The biggest recommendation I would give to someone is to buy the Saitek radio stack. It takes away one of the biggest sim stresses for me - changing frequencies while on departure and arrival. The second recommendation would be a yoke/joystick with extra buttons for flaps, gear, trim and speedbrakes. Those switches and levers are a huge frustration when on a visual approach, off autopilot and with traffic right behind you. :)

Steve
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Ryan B wrote: I sometimes hand fly the DDENN CL30 - the clickspots for the radio/navigation operation are a NIGHTMARE!
Just wondering if the airplane with click spot "issues" is an X-plane aircraft. If so, I may have a solution. On the screen where you pick the starting aircraft and location, MAXIMIZE the screen before clicking "fly with these options". For me this makes a huge difference in how the sim computes the location of the click spots.

+1 on the Saitek Radio panel. Really helps to have physical knobs.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

wmburns wrote:
Ryan B wrote: I sometimes hand fly the DDENN CL30 - the clickspots for the radio/navigation operation are a NIGHTMARE!
Just wondering if the airplane with click spot "issues" is an X-plane aircraft.quote]
It's not the clickspots that are challenging with this aircraft, it's the menu to get to change the value.
-Press the "radio" button
-Cycle to Comm1
-Rotate dial to desired frequency
-Middle click to swap from standby

Changing the transponder and having to IDENT is about enough to make me want to cancel a flight with this plane. Besides the radio function, I like the plane.
N2897M

Post by N2897M »

Hand flying any airplane in the Florida summer battling thermals and the while flying an ILS, VOR or NDB approach is one of the most stressful things you can do in the Air. When you include ATC yelling at you and your CFI giving you strange looks, wow, I really didn't enjoy doing my IR rating, but wow did it make me a safer and better pilot for sure. Made VFR flights a piece of cake
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

And that right there is one of the things that's wrong with instrument training. Going out and shooting 6-7 back to back approaches for training, bares zero resemblance to a real world IFR flight. Add a nervous CFII talking more than he/she probably should and you have a recipe for overload and misery. That's just not how real world IFR flying feels and works.
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Marcus hit the nail on the head... I'm sure it's a chore in the real plane when you can actually use your fingers!

In the sim..... that's why I don't fly it much
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL
dhplane

Post by dhplane »

I'm not sure this is the right forum but my IFR flight to KMYF canceled unexpectedly mid-flight... my apologies to the controller... (Bonanza N4139Q)
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

dhplane wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:26 am I'm not sure this is the right forum but my IFR flight to KMYF canceled unexpectedly mid-flight... my apologies to the controller... (Bonanza N4139Q)
Definitely not the right spot for this but regardless, pilots pop off the network every day. ATC thinks nothing of it. Nothing to worry about or report in the future.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord