Proceed to enreoute, Question !

Questions and comments about the PE Pilot Training Program
ericRacer

Proceed to enreoute, Question !

Post by ericRacer »

Hi,
I was listening to a video of the Workshop and it seemed to me that I was missing an authorization compared to Canada. So I'm wondering if there is this difference between the US and Canada.
The video in question starts at 14 minutes.
Flight #2: "Exciting Enroute
From/To: Torrance, CA (KTOA) to Palomar, CA (KCRQ)
Route: LIMBO V64 V363 DANAH V23 OCN
Aircraft: A36 Bonanza (simulator)
Approach: RNAV(GPS) X RWY 24
Briefing: 17 min
Flight Time: 40 min
Debriefing: 4 min

My questioning: Mr. Keith takes off via KTOA vector radar, controller clears him Runway centerline, climb and maintain 5K feet. Then, Keith, as soon as he reaches 5K feet he proceeds to intercept the radial. It seems to me that in Canada after such a clearance we must continue on the assigned heading and altitude and not intercept until the controller has cleared you to proceed enroute...
So in the US after reaching the assigned altitude can we continue our route without waiting for this clearance?

:P
Kevin_atc

Re: Proceed to enreoute, Question !

Post by Kevin_atc »

I don’t have access to the video, but go back and watch/listen to the clearance again very carefully. I guarantee you missed something, likely along the lines of “fly runway heading until reaching…”
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
ericRacer

Post by ericRacer »

It was my first reaction to listen to the authorization again, maybe I don't hear it well because I'm not an English speaker. But in a way, you answer my question, I should hear a clearance before the plane changes his heading and continues on its way.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

The clearance was likely in the IFR clearance. Try flying the same route on PilotEdge in your sim, you’ll hear something very similar 😉
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

IFR Clearance was:
"Cleared to the Palomar Airport, fly the runway heading and intercept the Los Angeles 170 radial outbound to LIMBO intercection, v64...."

Keith was just following the cleared routing. He just needed to fly runway heading until he could intercept the LAX VOR 170 southbound. There was no vector provided by radar.
ericRacer

Post by ericRacer »

thanks for the clarification, i see my mistake now, i don't know why, i had a SID in mind and i see it's an ordinary procedure departure . I see now everything is in the cleareance.
Thanks.