I am learning and would propose..

ianbennett

I am learning and would propose..

Post by ianbennett »

Hi,

I am learning, and I suppose a lot of us are learning. Could I propose an idea:

We have a incredible change to be able to fly with real controllers , my idea is to have some type of live feedback from them during our flight and at the same time not affect radio communications:

I would propose it this way:
Pilots could chose in flight plans to receive righting comments during flight or not.
When in flight and communicating with towers, controllers would right comments in private messages, explaining to pilots any issue, mistake or comments about what is happening.

I think this would be very educative and also would not disturb the normal radio communication.

Regards,

Ian bennett
Steven Winslow

Re: I am learning and would propose..

Post by Steven Winslow »

On the contrary, I think what you are proposing would be distracting and would take the controllers' attention away from what they are supposed to be doing...controlling traffic. I want my controllers to expect me to do what I am told. If I deviate from the plan or enter airspace I am not cleared to, I want them to treat me just like a real world controller would in a real world situation. Now THAT is a learning experience. When I make mistakes on PE, I vow to get it right next time. I have, on occasion, as I sat on the ground after landing, called up the controller and asked a quick question, but I only do that when I know it's only me or maybe one or two other pilots on PE at the time. I don't mean to be harsh with my comments, but I really do think your suggestion is a little off base for what PE is trying to accomplish.

May I suggest an alternative? When you are flying the ZLA ratings flights, the controllers are aware that you are learning and when you make a mistake, there is a different approach when they correct you. Doing the ZLA ratings will teach you pretty much anything you need to know to fly and communicate on PE, and real world, so you won't embarrass yourself or become flustered when you do something you should not have done. I learned tons while doing the ZLA ratings. In fact, I plan on flying them all again over the next few weeks to refresh my mind and glean even more instruction from them.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
ianbennett

Post by ianbennett »

Thanks,

ZLA ratings will be on my schedule. I get your point, I should of added "if traffic is low and always controllers this educative aproach".

But you must be right ZLA ratings is something I have to go into.

Regards,

Ian
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Small point of correction, the "ZLA ratings" are a VATSIM program (which I built). Steven is presumably referring to the PilotEdge Training Center (http://training.pilotedge.net)

We're still working on an out-of-band solution for communicating with pilots. It's likely that we'll have them join a TeamSpeak server so we can have a verbal interaction (off frequency) to debrief them. Right now, we do it on-frequency when it's not busy. Long term, that obviously won't work because there won't be any times where there's just one pilot flying around....we hope (or more correctly, only one pilot who's working with a given controller).

From a customer perspective, the ability to receive real time feedback on your flight is a great feature. As Steven said, though, our controllers are not ALWAYS in the best position to provide that (either for technical reasons, or because of simple workload).

We are contemplating having mentors on staff who can provide feedback to pilots, a service which might be offered as an add-on to a basic subscription. For now though, Ian, check out the Pilot Training Center and see how you do.
ianbennett

Post by ianbennett »

Hi Keith,

That would be a great option to offer, and yes it is the pilotedge training that are of interest.

Thank again,

Ian
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Yep, I was referring to the PilotEdge Training Center. I stand corrected!

I think an off frequency mentoring program is a great idea. It would like having a virtual CFI sitting right seat on TeamSpeak. I've actually done a little bit of that on NetFlight with TeamSpeak communications. Had one of our pilots wanting to learn how to trim an aircraft for straight and level so we got on NetFlight, each of us in our own aircraft. We did a flight of two and we talked through the process as we flew and we could watch each other's aircraft as we adjusted trim. It was quite helpful.

I think it will be fun and interesting to watch PilotEdge grow and evolve into an even better training tool. Thanks, Keith!
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Simon Ambrose

Post by Simon Ambrose »

Another way to get Feedback, (without asking the controller), is to fly "Shared Cockpit" with another, more experienced pilot -- just as pilots are trained in the real world.

FSX supports shared Cockpit - works very well for planes that have been developed to support it .. The more complex planes, like the PMDG 737NGX do not. (yet)

No idea what is available for Xplane ... ???

If you cannot "Share Cockpit" within the Sim, maybe there are options to "remote desktop", and use something like Teamspeak as an Intercom.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Simon is right, there is actually a limit to what we can observe on the scope. We can't see your power settings, trim settings, how you've configured the nav/com radios, programmed the GPS/FMS, and we can't hear anything you're saying unless you're saying it over the radio.

I've found that we can add a lot of value in explaining how a procedure should be flown, but we can't actually tell you if there are any problems in how you are setting up to fly a procedure. We can only tell you when you've blown it :)

Shared cockpit (of some form) would indeed be the ultimate way to go, and ideally, it would be attended by another pilot who is serving as a mentor, rather than a controller who is working the scopes.

The day might come when we have CFI's on staff who do this in their spare time for a very reasonable rate, or we might simply have experienced pilots who are happy to go along for the ride and help out, or are happy to have you come along and ride with them.