Question for controllers regarding tower visits

Colin Payette

Question for controllers regarding tower visits

Post by Colin Payette »

Sorry if it's inappropriate to post a real-world question here, but I'm not sure how else to get ahold of controllers or people who know controllers outside of my local airport.

I'm a student pilot, and through my training it's come up a few times that it's advisable for a student to visit a control tower. However, those hopes are quickly crushed at my airport because the owner of the tower HATES letting student pilots visit. He always says no.

Is there anyone here who has some type of ATC connection in SoCal that will let an astute student visit for a mere 10-15 minutes? I don't even want to interrupt operations, but rather just check out the radar screens, look out the window and listen for a bit. I've turned into quite the enthusiast, and am very technically minded so it kills me that some grumpy gus is blocking a crucial part of many peoples' training :x
Warrior N1021C | Cub N0614 | Lear N021Q
Private Pilot - Blog
FSX SP2
Kevin_atc

Re: Question for controllers regarding tower visits

Post by Kevin_atc »

If your local airport really hates tower visits, I would just say try a different airport. You've got two options (assuming you don't have any connections). First, simply call the tower on the phone. Each tower has a phone number and a little bit of googling can usually find it for you. Your second option that I've heard people do in the past (this would probably have to be at a small class D) would be to land somewhere and ask the ground controller if you could come up and visit. Depending on the airport, they may even be able to taxi you right to the base of the tower and let you right in.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
speartylr

Post by speartylr »

FYI, there a Faast team meeting at CLE (ZOB area), tour of the ATC facilities this Saturday. It's for CFI's but hey you know? Check out the details on dot.gov if your game for it. I might be there, I dono......brother.
Colin Payette

Post by Colin Payette »

That sounds awesome, but that may be a little far for me... for now :)

Most likely I'll take your advice, Kevin, and ask on frequency sometime after getting licensed. I'm just starting a final push to get my PPL in a the next month or so!
Warrior N1021C | Cub N0614 | Lear N021Q
Private Pilot - Blog
FSX SP2