Cleared for approach - report initial descent?

NM Doug

Cleared for approach - report initial descent?

Post by NM Doug »

I was flying in to KSBD tonight on an IFR flight plan. I was at 5000, and approach said, "Skyhawk 06U, cross PDZ at or above 4000, cleared NDB runway 6 approach."

I waited until I crossed PDZ VOR and then called, "SoCal approach, Cessna 06U leaving 5000 descending 4000." (4000 is the altitude of the feeder route from PDZ to the rest of the NDB approach.

Was my radio call a required call, because I was leaving an assigned altitude, or was it not required, because I had been cleared for the approach, and the approach starts at PDZ? A second question is whether I could make the call and descend to 4000 before reaching PDZ. I'm guessing (but that's why I'm asking!) that my descent radio call would be required if I started down before PDZ and optional if I started down after passing PDZ.

Thanks,
Doug
Daddy O

Re: Cleared for approach - report initial descent?

Post by Daddy O »

I may be wrong, but I believe your descent is actually expected as part of the approach. Since this is a training environment they woulda said something to you if you weren't supposed to.
Roger Wigfield

Post by Roger Wigfield »

At or above 4000 for PDZ allows you to start a decent to 4000 at the time of the ATC instruction. This usually gets you closer to the feeder altitude. Another benefit is you won't have to imitate an anvil to be at the correct level in the approach after the IAF. Once cleared for the approach you may decend to published altitudes.
NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

That makes sense. Do I still report leaving 5000 descending 4000 (especially when starting down before the IAF), so the controller knows when to expect me descending, or is the ATC instruction equivalent to a "pilot's discretion?"

Thanks,
Doug
Brandon Grchan

Post by Brandon Grchan »

NM Doug wrote:That makes sense. Do I still report leaving 5000 descending 4000 (especially when starting down before the IAF), so the controller knows when to expect me descending, or is the ATC instruction equivalent to a "pilot's discretion?"

Thanks,
Doug
Even when given a Pilots discretion decent you should always advise ATC when leaving your last cleared altitude.
Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

OK - thanks, all - this is very helpful!

- Doug
Jason Baxter

Post by Jason Baxter »

When given a crossing instruction as part of the approach clearance you report initial descent because you are descending to an ASSIGNED altitude. IF ATC had cleared you for an approach and not imposed any restrictions you can quietly execute the procedure since altitudes are only part of the procedure and not SPECIFIC ATC instructions.
NM Doug

Post by NM Doug »

Thanks, Jason. I'll try these things out and see what questions come up next!

- Doug