Altimeter Settings

Mark Hargrove

Altimeter Settings

Post by Mark Hargrove »

I've got a bit of confusion going with respect to altimeter settings.

I fly FSX/SP2 (primarily because I cannot get my controllers to calibrate AT ALL in X-Plane, but that's a topic for another day....). When I fly within the PE world, I'm often given altimeter settings that are different from the standard 29.92. I'm never exactly sure what to do with these. If I set my altimeter to the given setting, FSX immediately complains that the altimeter is set incorrectly and offers me a keystroke sequence to "fix" it. If I don't set the altimeter to match the setting given by the controller, I wonder if I'm at the wrong altitude as far as the controller is concerned.

What is the right way to deal with this?

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Re: Altimeter Settings

Post by Keith Smith »

Mark,

ATC is legally obliged to furnish you with the altimeter when you check in with them. If, however, you know for a fact that your simulator has a different altimeter setting, then you should use whatever is correct in your simulator. If you are flying with 'real weather' than these will be one and the same. If you're flying with your own weather, then use your own altimeter setting.
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

If it's asking you to change to 29.92 all the time, that sounds like you might have weather disabled? If that's intentional, no biggie, you can just disregard the altimeters you're given, as Keith said. If not intentional, check your weather settings :)
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Got it -- thanks guys!
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)