Aircraft names

Sabre

Aircraft names

Post by Sabre »

Guys, how to introduce (or name) DA20-100 Katana and T210M Centurion II at first contact to the Clearance/Ground? Also what to answer when ATC asks what type of aircraft it is?

Thanks,
Igor.
Kyle Rodgers

Re: Aircraft names

Post by Kyle Rodgers »

You would introduce yourself as [manufacturer or aircraft type] (drop the 'N') [tail number]. As an example, if your tail number is N123AB: Centurion 123AB, or Cessna 123AB would also work.

When ATC asks your aircraft type, you would simply respond with the aircraft type. If it's a Cessna Centurion, respond "Cessna Centurion." A response of "C210" would also work for a Centurion.
Kyle Rodgers
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

So for DA20 it will be "Diamond 123AB or if asked about the type "Diamond 20-100 Katana...".

Thanks,
Igor.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The 'identifier' for the Diamond DA20 is actually 'DV20', since the 'DA20' is a Dassault Falcon. The only reason I know this is that I did my primary training in the DA20 and I quickly learned the difference between the model name and the ATC identifier for the aircraft. A similar case exists with the Piper PA28 Warrior/Cherokee/Archer. The ATC identifier for that aircraft is P28A.

When ATC is asking you for the type of aircraft, it's often for the purpose of creating a 'strip' on the scope. That strip contains your aircraft identifier. It's also used by various flight tracking applications. Here's a list of all the airborne P28A's, for example:
http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/P28A

If you tell them you're a Skyhawk, Skylane, Archer, Warrior, Centurion, Malibu, or any other 'common' aircraft type, they're going to know the corresponding identifier. If you're flying a less frequently seen aircraft, though, it's good practice to let them know the identifier. For example, "Diamond Katana, that's a Delta Victor Two Zero"

The Make is a "Diamond", the model is a "Katana". I would not provide the model number, because ATC isn't going to do anything meaningful with that info. The make and model are useful because they can use either of them in the callsign, as Kyle pointed out beautifully in his reply. The identifier is used for a number of ATC functions, but the model number is not used.
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

Thanks, all is clear.

Igor.
Steve Caffey

Post by Steve Caffey »

Keith Smith wrote:The 'identifier' for the Diamond DA20 is actually 'DV20', since the 'DA20' is a Dassault Falcon. The only reason I know this is that I did my primary training in the DA20 and I quickly learned the difference between the model name and the ATC identifier for the aircraft. A similar case exists with the Piper PA28 Warrior/Cherokee/Archer. The ATC identifier for that aircraft is P28A.
I wonder if that's one that changed, the Falcon 20 is now FA20 like all the Falcons (FA10 FA20 FA50 F900 F2TH FA7X). Off topic, man I wish Dassault would cooperate and let someone make a really nice F900/F2TH/FA7X for FSX..
Kyle Rodgers

Post by Kyle Rodgers »

It's changed, according to the ICAO site:
DASSAULT - Falcon 20 - FA20 - Landplane - Jet - 2 - M

The Diamond Falcon and Katana are both DV20 (ICAO), though.
Kyle Rodgers
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Good catch, Kyle, I did not know that.