Whiteman (KWHP) IFR Departure Question

AviatorScott

Whiteman (KWHP) IFR Departure Question

Post by AviatorScott »

Ok.
First I do fly Real Life, and I am IFR rated, so I"m feeling a little like a dunce right now.
Last night I flew an IFR flight out of Whiteman to Bakersfield. I'm really doing this more for the clearance delivery readback and enroute changes plus the excuse to play with the simulator :)

So I'm told in my clearance to fly the Runway 30 standard departure (page L7). Ok, I can do that. BTW, flying a very basic C172 for a lot of this, not playing with gps because I want my skill set to be better.
"Rwy 30, climbing left turn heading 260. ALL AIRCRAFT climb to 4500 via VNY R-325, then climbing left turn direct VNY VOR/DME.

I make it off the ground, turn to 260, climbing expecting an intercept on the radial and then... well I actually didn't ever get there and ATC was nice enough to suggest I turn left direct VNY and the suggested a turn and direct GMN when able. Thanks for that.

But I'm back reading the departure tonight, and looking at the maps and I realize I'm not sure which way I should be flying R-325 if I get there :oops:
I think out bound (ie: northwest) to 4500 and then a left turn back to the VOR?

Anyone out there care to hazard a guess? Especially my fellow real world pilots, or those with a lot of sim experience who have got this figured out?

Scott
Scott Woodland, PE, M.ASCE
PPL - ASEL -- IFR
Keith Smith

Re: Whiteman (KWHP) IFR Departure Question

Post by Keith Smith »

VNY R-325 outbound until 4500 then climbing left turn direct VNY.

It can't be the opposite (VNY R-325 inbound), because if that was the case, then the next step would not be a climbing left turn direct VNY, since you'd already be heading to VNY on the R-325 inbound.

My guess is the reason for the climb to 4500 is to ensure that you clear the 3700ft obstacle to the left of the VNY R-325, just NE of TWINE (see the sectional).

Also consider the case where you tried to join the R-325 inbound from a 260 heading...that's a honking left turn, which could involve a good amount of overshoot. Again, picturing the 3700ft obstacle just NE of a TWINE, an overshoot while crossing the R-325 from east to west would not be good.

That's the reasoning off the top of my head that it must be referring to joining the R-325 OUTBOUND.
AviatorScott

Re: Whiteman (KWHP) IFR Departure Question

Post by AviatorScott »

Thanks Keith,
You've now described why I got confused. Plus I had set my OBS correctly for the intercept, though it felt like it was taking a long time to get there. Then thought I'd mis-set it and changed it and had to change back. Much better to make such mistakes in the virtual world (FWIW, I don't fly IFR without a good IFR GPS/Map in the plane, it helps situational awareness) than in real life. I just further confused myself by rereading, and rereading the departure clearance.

Scott
Scott Woodland, PE, M.ASCE
PPL - ASEL -- IFR