ATC frequency clarification

billkirk888

ATC frequency clarification

Post by billkirk888 »

Howdy,
I have 2 questions with regard to ATC frequencies:

1) I am able to find Center Frequencies on the Low Enroute maps. When planning my flight, I look for the closest Center location to my Dep. Airport, however that frequency isn't always the one APP hands me off to. Question is - If I were to tune to one of the other Center Frequencies, would I still reach the Controller, or is the only functioning frequency that which was provided in the handoff by DEP?

2) I'm finding that the APP frequencies provided by Center during handoff do not mach what I show on either the APP plate, or Arrival chart. For example: I lost comms with Center when flying yesterday from KLAX to KLAS. I attempted to reach LAS APP on 125.6 (KPEC2 arr chart) and 125.025 (ILS 25L app. plate) with no joy. I then was able to reach Tower, which provided another frequency - 135.0. I wasn't able to reach APP on any of these and could not find frequency 135.0 anywhere on my maps. Can someone help me understand what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Bill Kirkland
Alex Stjepanovic

Re: ATC frequency clarification

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

The published/known and the actual frequencies can vary quite a bit.

The center ones are pretty much for some initial contact such as pop-up IFR or as suggestions if you loose comms and can't reach anyone else/etc. If you look at the one near SBA, you'll see it lists 121.5, so they are by no means the only frequencies used by the specific sector. Similarly 135.3(Which feeds AVE stream into LA), is located at Lebec, CA, but due to what most likely must have been chart congestion, east of BFL in R2508, while in reality that's not only a different sector, but a different facility(The real sector being along the AVE-FIM axis). So don't look to them as a perfect guide. You might very well reach the same controller, then again you might not. It all depends on the shape of sectors, how they are combined and so forth.

The approach plate ones are even worse. One example I use most often when people ask about this, is the LAX approaches from a few years back. They all had 124.5 listed, despite the fact of reports from pilots who fly in the area in reality, that this frequency is never even used(132.37 is substituted in order to prevent confusion with 124.05 - We use the same system here, for the same reasons, but with the frequencies the other way round). Similarly, if there are lots of sectors, not every one is gonna be listed.
billkirk888

Post by billkirk888 »

Thanks for the response, Alex.

So if I understand correctly, don't pay too close attention to the Center frequencies on the maps as they may be substituted depending on various factors. Let's say I lose connection with Center on the assigned frequency at some point. If I tune to the closest Center freq. shown on the Low Enroute chart (on Pilot Edge network), provided there isn't a system problem somewhere, should I be able to reach the controller? In other words, do they monitor only a single frequency at a time, or multiple Center frequencies simultaneously? (I understand how Real World should work - I am refering to how it works on Pilot Edge)

With regard to the APP freq. question - in my case, since I lost comms with Center and couldn't reach them - I was unable to determine what APP freq. I should be tuning to. None of the published ones worked. I contacted Tower, who provided the correct one however is there another way I can find out what freq.s are in use during my pre-flight planning?

Thanks again,
Bill
Alex Stjepanovic

All the published as well as some otherwise 'public' or well known frequencies are in our system. It really depends on the facility/sector/position as to how many they have/cover - But someone always will. I'm the guy who makes sure of that, so if you run into any that isn't, I'd love to know.

As far as your specific case, I was on Center that day and had lost you altogether. I thought you lost your connection or something, until tower advised me that you were trying to reach someone. If there was an additional controller there for Las Vegas Approach, for example, who might not have experienced the same issue, you probably could have reached him, much like you reached tower.
billkirk888

Post by billkirk888 »

Is there any way to determine what APP frequency is in use at a given airport before being handed off by Center?
Alex Stjepanovic

It depends on the sectorization. There might not be only one.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Bill, pilots shouldn't have an expectation of what freqs will be used during handoffs, other than the tower. The charts come in handy if you are cold-calling a facility, though, and we do support all of those.

I've been on real world flights where the final app controller freq didn't match what was published on the app chart.
billkirk888

Post by billkirk888 »

Thanks, Guys. At least now I know I'm not missing something on my end. Apreciate the responses.

Bill