Track IR vs Multiple screens ???

Maj.BLOOD

Track IR vs Multiple screens ???

Post by Maj.BLOOD »

I would like to get every ones opinion on the Track IR over Multiple Screens.

Example 1 32" inch screen with a Track IR or 3 32" screens without. 1 screen on the left, one center, and one right.

I believe the single screen track is the logical choice for these reasons:

1. Ease of use.
2. Realistic feel while flying.
3. Minimal computer resources required to run.
4. Durability ( Mine is 3 or 4 years old.)
5 Nothing I can't do with it that I can do with 3 screens
6. Cost $150.00 verses $300.00 to $600 per screen. Minimum of $900.00

Multiple SCREENS:
1. Setting up screens each flight takes time.
2. The feel flying is realistic but you still have to use the hat switch to look around the cockpit.
3. Three screens require multiple graphics cards and use a lot of resources dropping performance.
4 Simple the more parts their are the more likely you are to have a problem.
5. 3 screens look good but don't offer much beyond that.
6. Cost $900.00 verses $150.00 is a no brain er for me.

All opinions welcome
Vincent Meier

Re: Track IR vs Multiple screens ???

Post by Vincent Meier »

Maj. Blood
I have both.
I am running TrackIR 5.0 and also have 3-24" monitors for scenery.
I also have a fourth monitor for the instruments - SimAvio

I started with one monitor and trackIR and found it satisfactory, but I much prefer using the 3 monitors and the hatswitch.
I find using the trackIR my head movement are small and the motion on the screen is large, something I never got used to.
Also when you go to change a setting on the instruments it is very difficult(but not insurmountable) the keep the cockpit still and have the mouse hit the mark.
I also find after about an hour or so, I get a bit of a headache with all the movement that is going on...kind of like being seasick. When you look up at the menu to change something, it is a fast movement and bothers my eyes.
I do still use both once in a while, but I lean toward the 3 monitors without trackIR

As for having multiple graphics cards for the 3 monitors..I do not.
I am using a TH2GO setup on one graphics card.
If you would like to see my setup go to www.vinceandvalerie.com and click on the flight simulator link
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
Orest Skrypuch

Re: Track IR vs Multiple screens ???

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

I have and love my TrackIR setup, wouldn't fly without it. Yes, some folks just don't like the apparent head motion disparity -- but I got used to it very quickly.

I tweaked the setup to slow the movements down a lot, there is a good profile floating around the PMDG forums if you want to start with something already tweaked. It is fairly straightforward, you want to flatten the curve at the center, and decrease the response rate throughout.

I found it key to set a button on my yoke to the TrackIR PAUSE function. That lets me zoom in on an instrument, on the panel or overhead or on the console -- then I lock the position temporarily. Then mouse the control I need to move, and then unlock the view. The technique is automatic for me now.

Multiple screens are good too, but they don't provide all the views that TrackIR can. The cost is greater, and the space required is somewhat more as well. When I was making the decision, there was a significant constraint on the available maximum resolution as well.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com