Another great flight

Orest Skrypuch

Another great flight

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

Flew between the two featured airports today, KSBD and KRMN. Some weather in SoCal, rain and MVFR ceilings -- which played a factor for the approach. Flew the TEC route PDZ V186 ROBNN V208 JLI. (Thanks for the shortcuts enroute!)

Mountain tops peaking through

Was flying /A, so the only approach available was the VOR/DME A, with a circle to land 27. METAR reports BKN at 2600, the MDA is 2580. Gusty winds. Hmmm.

Somehow was anticipating a longer inbound, and hadn't slowed down yet, and as a result blew past the VOR track inbound when vectored for the intercept. Got reintercepted. A strong wind of 30 knts or so from the NNW didn't help either. Then was flurting with the FAF minimum. What a mess. Finally got back in the saddle, reorganized, slowed and descended as per the stepdown, was skimming along at 2600ft, just above MDA. Before I knew it I was at the MAP. With the low stratus deck, just could not see the field, but it looked like I was almost through.

Elected to try again, but if I was unsuccessful the second time would head off to KRIV, for the ILS.

So, started the published missed, climbing right turn to intercept PGY R-336, and was switched over to SoCal approach. Got revectored for the VOR/DME A approach. Had the speed on target this time, made the rest much easier. This time broke out of the deck at 4000ft, lots of time to circle and land. A good crosswind for the landing, and FS planes really don't handle that very well.

Well, exited the runway, and took a breath. What a great workout!

Oh, and Keith -- thanks for the weather! ;)

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com