[Dec 15, 6pm PST] KSLI - custom carrier

Planning a flight, looking for others to come along?
Daddy O

[Dec 15, 6pm PST] KSLI - custom carrier

Post by Daddy O »

Come fly with me! How would y'all like to do some carrier landings in the dark? If you are really bold then try a few helicopter landings on an oil platform. Here is the deal:

Below is the link to download a small scenery package that will add the Emmy and Eva oil platforms, as well as an aircraft carrier parked nearby. With this scenery package we can all work together on the same tiny carrrier deck.

http://home.comcast.net/~aardvarks_book ... /index.htm

So it works like this; once you install the scenery pack you position your airplane at the Los Alamitos AAF (KSLI) Set your Nav radio to the Seal beach VOR 115.7 and tune your VOR to the 167 radial <167 from> The carrier is exactly 8 miles from the Seal Beach VOR on the 167 radial. This course will line you up perfectly for a landing on the fantail.

Since the carrier deck is 70 feet above the water, TPA for aircraft is 1300, and 500 for helicopters. Copters should land on the forward deck to leave room for the aircraft to catch a cable on the rear deck.

Now, one caveat; the carrier is parked so you will be landing approx 30 knots faster than you would on a normal carrier landing.

Carrier frequency will be 123.45. Unless someone wants to handle tower functions, we will follow standard procedures for a non-towered airport. Let's meet up at 1800pst on Wednesday. Keep in mind that this will be an active Beta day so Los Alamitos tower will be controlled. Here is the link for the airport diagram:
http://tiles.skyvector.com/sky/files/tp ... 0953AD.PDF
Rauerb3

Re: Come and fly Wednesday Dec 15th

Post by Rauerb3 »

Is that 9PM EST? I'll be there. It will be after my last final, whew.
Rauerb3

Re: [Dec 15, 6pm PST] KSLI - custom carrier

Post by Rauerb3 »

I am still at school finishing up my last stitch of work for the semster. I will be on later with the S61.
Rauerb3

Post by Rauerb3 »

Where has everybody gone?
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Well, the carrier landings were interesting. A couple of us did some helo landings with the S61, no problems there. Then we tried the C-152 and it was a bit difficult as some weather had rolled in and we had clouds at the top of pattern altitude (which made the C152 bounce around a lot on final approach.) And once you touched down, the Cessna did not have enough brakes to come to a full stop so you either had to go-around or go-swimming.

The Phantom was another story. Because the closing speed was now 165 (rather than 125 like it would be if the carrier was moving) the landing was dicey and I failed multiple times to capture a cable.

It turned out to be a good thing that I only put the carrier out 8 miles at sea. The cloud coover turned the night into this inky mess so the only point of perspective was the carrier. You really had to stay on your instruments to if you wanted to stay dry. Very easy to get disoriented. Without the HUD I actually had to cheat and switch on night vision.

But, all of you can still download the scenery pack and use the carrier at your leisure. It also includes two oil rigs listed on aeronautical charts. If you do not have the scenery pack you will find that Xplanes only has one of the platforms, and only renders the landing pad...just the pad floating in mid air near a windsock protruding from the water. The carrier is really great for helicopter landings, and practicing your VOR work.