FSX: KSAN ILS rwy 9 freq does not match charts

BeechV35Pilot

FSX: KSAN ILS rwy 9 freq does not match charts

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

I just learned the hard way that the default FSX sim frequency for the KSAN (San Diego) ILS runway 9 ILS does not match current charts. I had flown all the way down from Santa Barbara to about 20 nm north of the ILS when I discovered I was not receiving the ILS on the charted frequency of 111.55. I queried the controller who confirmed 111.55 is what he was showing should be the freq. so I knew I had a problem with old data.

I coincidentally then had an aircraft trim model problem and had to end my flight prematurely (my apologies to the controller - not sure what they see when an aircraft suddenly and unexpectedly dropped into the ocean - that was NOT planned). My apologies for terminating early. Don't worry - I survived the crash and was able to swim to shore.

After shutting everything down I shot out to Avsim and found a KSAN airport update that includes an AFCAD with the correct frequency for the ILS rwy 9.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=162976

Personally I am going to only install the AFCAD from this package and not bother with the extra eye candy. edit: file name is KSAN_ADE_RS.BGL and I have confirmed that it contains the correct frequency.

This issue got me thinking, though: I would think that most pilots and controllers here are using relatively current charts and approach plates and that there must be other known problems between the nav data in FSX/FS2004 and the real charts. If not already mentioned elsewhere, it might be helpful to pilots if PE offered separate web pages that listed known discrepancies between relatively current nav charts/approaches and the FSX sim data. Maybe even offer a page under this site where us pilots could report discrepancies and also links to corrections. Once vetted, PE could then provide a list of known discrepancies and these links to its members who use FSX/FS9. Or conversely also offer a list of airports where we have confirmed that all nav/approach data matches the sim.

This incident almost got me to switch to X-Plane (yes, I know it is a more accurate sim but I just have too much money in add-ons and time into FSX).
Last edited by BeechV35Pilot on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Peter
Alex Stjepanovic

Re: FSX: KSAN ILS rwy 9 freq does not match charts

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

BeechV35Pilot wrote:I coincidentally then had an aircraft trim model problem and had to end my flight prematurely (my apologies to the controller - not sure what they see when an aircraft suddenly and unexpectedly dropped into the ocean - that was NOT planned). My apologies for terminating early. Don't worry - I survived the crash and was able to swim to shore.
Too late, SAR's in full swing. They'll be sending you the bills! :)
Last edited by Alex Stjepanovic on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orest Skrypuch

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

I have the new payware scenery for KSAN (FSX). It is quite nice, and the LOC freq is correct.

Don't forget, that you can also use a BGL editor, and fix those up quite quickly, as you come across them.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
BeechV35Pilot

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

Alex Stjepanovic wrote:Too late, SAR's in full swing. They'll be sending you the bills! :)
Indeed. And to top it off, because of the untimely demise of my flight I didn't get any credit in PEAware for the first hour of that trip.
Orest Skrypuch wrote:I have the new payware scenery for KSAN (FSX). It is quite nice, and the LOC freq is correct.

Don't forget, that you can also use a BGL editor, and fix those up quite quickly, as you come across them.
[edit: removed question about NDB - just learned that existing FSX-deliverd navaids and approaches cannot be removed from FSX]

Agreed that I can (and will) fix these where I see them, but I would prefer to share these with the PE community should PE believe these fixes are helpful to the service. Perhaps others might, too.
Regards,
Peter