SID/STARs completely overwelming.

djrisc

Re: SID/STARs completely overwelming.

Post by djrisc »

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! I really like Julio's idea of flying it VFR and practicing it, or what Mark does and practice it offline even.

It's just crazy to me that they make it so confusing, it seems like this will cause pilot confusion in the air in real life and be almost dangerous.

Then again, I'm looking from it from someone with very little experience.

Thanks again though, for all the feedback. The PE community is so awesome and helpful, the people make this service that much more amazing. So I really appreciate all the help that I've received from everyone here on the forums as well as the controllers offering feedback on the network!

Not to mention the hours and hours that Keith puts in giving free workshops, answering 10,000 PMs and forum posts.

Hopefully one day I can give back in some way, because the worth of this service is definitely more than what I'm paying. (No one stab me.)

Thanks again!

Brett

P.S. Keith, enjoy the movie, you definitely more than deserve the break!
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks Brett, the movie was absolutely incredible. I'll be watching that one again for sure. Cyrus, I'm a massive Tarantino fan! Pulp Fiction blew my noodle when I watched it as a teenager.

Brett, in the SID's defense, it's actually not confusing. If you break it down into bite size pieces, there isn't any single element which is unreasonable or overly complicated...however, in a perfect storm case, it can be a real pain to fly....the perfect storm being:
1) fast airplane
2) /A (a veritable rarity these days)
3) controller sending you to VNY

Take any of the three out and it's a LOT easier. I've flown it in a C208 and it was relaxing by comparison.

Study a boatload of SIDs, get good at breaking down the legs, and planning the nav radios (you see me planning as far ahead as I can in most of the cockpit videos...I normally have 4 nav radio freqs programmed before leaving the ground between nav1/2 primary/stdby) and you'll be in great shape.

I'll be the first to say, btw, that /G and a GPS with turn prediction would be very helpful to have in real life. I'm all for practicing /A to truly polish the fundamentals, but in a fast airplane, this really is a truckload of work.
You're already giving back by asking the questions that a lot of pilots already have and many will in the future. These threads might help them, too!
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Keith Smith wrote:AJ, now compare the PEBLE4 SID vs the original TEC route...not just the names....the course over the ground. See any STRIKING similarities?

Brett, we'll be covering SIDs very thoroughly during the workshop when the time comes. In the mean time, we can help you here without a problem. I'm off to go see my first movie in 5 years (Django Unchained), will try to remember to reply here tomorrow. If I don't, PM me, or ping this thread.
Keith, I DID compare PEBLE4 and TEC SANN4, from the point when you join MZB293R, they are identical. :shock: :D

So in my opinion, the only difference is that if I am given the PEBLE4, I need to fly it as published and Controller does not need to give me vectors while flying TEC SANN4 I would expect vectors to join MZB293R.

So the logical explanation in my opinion would be that I am given PEBLE4 Departure in case the Controller is very busy which was the case last night because I have heard constant transmissions while waiting for my clearance.

Does that sound right, Keith? Can not wait to see your response. Cheers, AJ
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Hopefully one day I can give back in some way, because the worth of this service is definitely more than what I'm paying. (No one stab me.)
I also think that the price is very low for the service we get on PE. :o :shock:

OK, OK, I am not trying to ask to raise the price, I am just saying that the price we pay is VERY fair for we get, that is all.

If there was any way to give back to PE, just let me know , Keith. :) I mean it. Cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

AJ, yes,the PEBLE4 is pilot nav (less radio work overall between the clearance and the vector). The SID isn't listed in the TEC route, though, because TECs are area-specific, not airport specific.

I appreciate that you guys want to give back to PE...here's how you do that:
1) Fly online as much as you can. The traffic helps us, because, right or wrong, lots of potential users judge the value of the platform by how many people are flying on it)

2) Help spread the word to other pilots, discerning sim enthusiasts and flight schools. We don't have the luxury of a large marketing budget (that was spent almost entirely on tradeshows last year), so that's where we need the most help in getting this to snowball.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Keith,
Have you ever considered using the Street Team model for some cheap marketing? In the record industry people use street teams to great effect to spread the word with very little cost. I'm not sure if the same methods would be useful for this industry, but might be something to consider?

Even things like bumper stickers with a PilotEdge logo with your slogan "Professional air traffic control for flight simulators" and the URL, as well as t-shirts. all this cheap stuff, as people walk around at airports and talk to other pilots it's all relatively cheap marketing.

Just thought I'd throw it out there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_team

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Brett, yes I've been mulling over the idea of selling merch at cost as a marketing tool. A referral program would probably be wise as well, it was in the biz plan written 2 1/2yrs ago.
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

Keith,
I would be more than willing to go to my local flight school (EFC - Edmonton Flying Club) and introduce them to Pilotedge. I know they have a great flight sim there. I actually met Austin Meyer there when he was re-certifying it. I am not sure how they handle the ATC portion in the sim as I have never used it there, but I am willing to find out if they would think it was a viable service to them or not.
There is also another local flight school near by...but I am not sure if they have a sim or not...I will check into it.

Vince

Cooking Lake - http://www.aviationacademy.net/cms/Abou ... fault.aspx
Edmonton Flying Club - http://edmontonflyingclub.com/about_fleet.php
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
ChristophPreinfalk

Post by ChristophPreinfalk »

So what I'm hearing, using the FlyJSim 727 as /A for the I-5 check ride would be a blast? :-)