Low approach

Keith Smith

Re: Low approach

Post by Keith Smith »

Colin,

Two corrections there:
1) I wouldn't read back the runway number and a callsign and leave it at that. I'd also readback the operation for which I have been cleared. This removes any ambiguity. For example, you might be told "rwy 27R, cleared for the option, except stop and go." If you simply read back "27R, 3AB," then you have not confirmed receipt of all of the pertinent information. It's not a legal requirement to read it back, but it sure would be a good idea, and the controller is likely to query you if you don't read back the key parts.

2) if the controller asks if you can make a short approach, it's usually for sequencing another closely spaced departure or arrival. If you say unable, it's likely that you'll be told to extend your downwind past the normal point of turning base, allowing room for the departure or arrival. You won't be told to "go around" while you're on a downwind. You're quite right, though, the pilot OR the controller can call for a go-around.
Colin Payette

Post by Colin Payette »

Good points. Other than back-to-back touch and goes, I usually read back the operation. The chief instructor who I do stage checks with wants me to leave out the runway number and read back just the tail number, but I think that's cutting it way too short.

As for short approaches, I've only been asked by the tower once while soloing, and felt comfortable so I did it. I've been told that you'd be asked to go around at TPA but extending downwind does make more sense.
Warrior N1021C | Cub N0614 | Lear N021Q
Private Pilot - Blog
FSX SP2
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

41Bravo wrote:There are a few things you can do coming down onto a runway:
  • Land
  • Touch and Go
  • Stop and Go
  • Low Approach
If you're cleared for the option then you can do either one. All you really need to respond with is the runway number and your tail number.

Them: "Cessna 3AB, cleared for the option runway 27 right"
You: "27 right, 3AB"

"Go around" is something you do when you're not comfortable with the landing, so you abort it and go around again. It can be the pilot's decision, or the controller can tell you to do it.

"Short approach" is when you somewhat combine your base and final legs and just fly to the numbers from your shortened downwind leg. If you aren't comfortable, tell the tower "unable" and they'll probably have you go around.
Thanks for the explanation, 41Bravo. However, my original question was primarily about wether the tower needed to know what exactly I'd be doing: T&G, Stop & Go, Low Approach etc., and wehter I needed to make a specific call telling Tower about my specific intention in the current loop. Btw I would rather exercise Go around than any 'Low approach' as it is seems much more practical than the rest of the list, besides landing. Anyhow, from your explanation I understand that I just need to confirm the runway cleared by the Tower and do silently what I deem necessary. Also I understand there's no "Go around" exercise as such, but I'm OK to exercise it every time I'm cleared for the option. The only additional 'flourish' to it would be the "Going around" report to the Tower, unlike the rest of the items in the list. Please correct if I'm wrong.

Sabre.
Colin Payette

Post by Colin Payette »

If you know your intentions, then it is nice to let the tower know. It also lets other people flying behind you know what to expect.

Even if you're not cleared for the option, you can always go around. Your decision to go around is based on safety. Don't feel forced to land. You should tell the tower you are going around, just make sure you have control of your aircraft first.
Warrior N1021C | Cub N0614 | Lear N021Q
Private Pilot - Blog
FSX SP2
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

41Bravo wrote:If you know your intentions, then it is nice to let the tower know.
So it should go something like:

You: "Touch and go, 27 right, 3AB

Is it ok at this point of the pattern? As this exchange usually happens at midfiled downdind.

Sabre.
MXMiles

Post by MXMiles »

Sabre wrote: So it should go something like:

You: "Touch and go, 27 right, 3AB

Is it ok at this point of the pattern? As this exchange usually happens at midfiled downdind.

Sabre.
Technically you are correct. When you are cleared for the option the Tower controller has allowed enough spacing between you and other aircraft to safely operate in any of the above mentioned conditions. The purpose of anouncing your intentions to the controller would be, in theory, unnecessary since "cleared for the option" means you are cleared for any operation you so choose to do. You can make your intentions known to the controller at any point in the pattern from the upwind all the way to short final becuause you have already been given the clearance. Anouncing your intentions mainly benefits the controller, particularly if he has other traffic in the pattern.

For example, if you have been doing T&G's for the past several minutes and other traffic enters the pattern on your final lap, at your discretion you may let the controller know you are planning on making a "full stop" so the controller can more properly sequence the arriving/departing traffic. The sooner you make this anouncement, the more beneficial this information is for the controller. I hope this helps.
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

All is clear, thanks, guys.

Sabre.
Kangaby

Post by Kangaby »

The other option is to include what you are intending to do in your mid down wind report.

3AB mid downwind touch and go
3AB mid downwind full stop

This lets the controller place you where he needs you based on traffic.
Sabre

Post by Sabre »

Kangaby wrote:The other option is to include what you are intending to do in your mid down wind report.

3AB mid downwind touch and go
3AB mid downwind full stop

This lets the controller place you where he needs you based on traffic.

Btw, is really "mid" prefix needed in the pilot's report after ATC requested to report "mid downwind"? I take it you've been told to report mid downwind so you report just normal "3AB downind touch and go" when you arrive there.

Sabre.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It doesn't hurt to be specific, and it is just one syllable.